Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working Out/Losing Weight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Working Out/Losing Weight Reply with quote

I've got no idea where to post this, so I'd thought I'd try here. I'm trying to lose weight and I'm really struggling with focus & having enough energy to go to the gym before my wife leaves for work, etc.

I'm just wondering if any of the rest of you SAHD's regularly workout, and if so, when do you do and how do you maintain your motivation, etc?

Thanks for any input.
Househusband

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... Way back when I went to college to be a dietitian, people used to always ask me how to loose weight,and I finally came up with the ultimate answer..."PUT DOWN THE TWINKIES" !

Eating correctly can be especially dificult running a house and homeschooling the kids. I can't count the number of times after taking care off everybody elses needs and making sure the kids get balanced meals , school work, shopping trips etc, that I'll look at the clock and find it's 7:00pm and I havn't had a bite myself yet for the day and stuff myself with whatever garbage is within inhaling range...and I should know better.

I have an especially tough time excersizing , I have a degenerative bone disease which pretty much eliminates that option, but sometimes i do just load up on pain medication and take the kids to a bike trail ( 8 year old rides, 3 year old on the back of mine) and get a good workout, or in the warmer months, take the kids to a nearby lake for swimming . walking around in the water is great resistance excersize.

Of course, we just had little one # 3 here at the house two days ago and I havn't figured out details on continuing this( I wonder if my 3 year ol is getting big enough for one of those one wheel trailer bikes yet? ).

Gym stuff is great for building muscles, but as far as actually loosing weight, it's questionable.
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: working out Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

I understand where you're coming from. It is very difficult to fit an exercise program into an already busy life. Going to the gym makes it even harder because you have to put the effort into getting there and getting back. Among my career hats is Certified Personal Trainer and I can give you a few tips. First of all, if you are just beginning a fitness program, start small. "Working out" shouldn't take you more than fifteen minutes and that time should be spent stretching and doing about ten minutes of cardio. Build this up until you're at 30 minutes three times per week. This you can do at home and early in the morning is a great time. You will really feel the energy boost and burn calories too. On diet, make small changes there too. Begin with looking at your portion sizes and adjust where you see too much. Avoid carbs and excess fat and try to not eat after dinner is over. If you really need a snack, make it something like sorbet or Italian Ice. Finally, if you want to add weight training, make that the last thing you add. As with the cardio, work in 10-15 minute increments. This is something that the trainer at the gym will advise you on based upon what your goals are.

My own routine has waxed and waned over the years as I've tried to fit it in around schooling and work. I do everything at home now but look foreward to returning to the gym a few days per week. Good luck,

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: