Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Done For The Year!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Done For The Year!! Reply with quote

Yea, we're done for the year! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

A much needed break and then probably in July we'll start early with a new curriculum. Going from Abeka Books to the Alpha-Omega CD/Online program. I think the kids will also enjoy it more because a computer is involved.

Is anybody else using that program?
bartii

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of that program by Alpha and Omega. But, if it is a lot like their curriculum workbooks I am not sure I would be interested
bartii

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are basically done to. However, for the summer I usually keep going with math. Only three to four hours per week for study. I have found that if I don't I have to start all over the following year. I am also going to be doing a new curriculum for summer into next year that deals with Critical Thinking.

There is a lady in our P.E. group that has a homebased business and sells a the curriculum called Bright Minds. It is geared to teaching the child to use critical thinking in their studies and life.

I have been doing some of this on my own with reading from a book called God's Mighty Hand. We then dissect every word, sentence, and paragraph. I have my boys look up words they don't understand then we try to figure out how the next paragraph relates to the previous paragraph and then how it is used to prepare us for the next paragraph.

This is fun for me. They don't always like it. But, sometimes I let them read the story and then I ask them questions. My youngest is to the point that he reads his section and when he comes to a word he doesn't know he asks. Sometimes I make them look up the word in the dictionary or I just tell them.

I think the critical thinking material that I am getting will be very beneficial.
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We "finished" officially today. We actually finished yesterday, but took today as our "field trip" day. (Krispy Kreme for breakfast, zoo, & violin lesson).

We're going to keep going with reading, math & handwriting for the summer. We'll also do some short unit studies on space & dinosaurs this summer then start up officially with first grade in the middle of August.

I'm so psyched that we can relax a bit. I'm actually hoping to get some more work done in the next couple of weeks during the break. I'm actually in the process of figuring out the marketing of a new database program.

Have a great night guys!
bartii

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are going to do a project this summer. My goal is life application to what we have learned thus far.

My boys really want a play house. I decided to that we will build one from scratch. Now I have to wait for my son's arm to heal completely from a fall in which he broke both is ulna and radius. It is actually called a green branch break or something like that.

We have decided that the play house is going to a 10 x 12 and we are going to add a three foot porch to it with a fence in front of it.

I haven't decided if we will make it seven feet or eight feet tall. I am leaning towards seven feet and the roof will probably be a 3 - 12 pitch. As you can figure there be will a lot of math involved. They have to figure out the perimeter and area.

As they go along my oldest has to take pictures and has to take notes. At the end he will have to write a report. We have the foundation laid but with the broken arm he can't do much more.

During this project they will also learn about recycling. On part of the house we will be reusing some wood. I have a friend who is in construction who has brought some wood that we can use and we will probably go to construction sites to gather some material.

Since there will be some costs they will have to earn some money. Our neighbor has them picking up dog droppings once per week. My mom has highered my oldest to mow their yard. He gets eight dollars/week. I am doing mowing because of his broken arm.

With the money they make they have to tithe, put some in savings, and save the rest. However, I am making my son pay me a dollar a week to drive him to my dad and mom's home to mow. So, we will be learning money management also.

I think this will be fun. Is anyone else doing any projects this summer?
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart,
That sounds like it would be a lot of fun, kinda like the building of a treehouse as a kid! Keep us updated on the progress and perhaps a photo or two.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: