Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History curriculum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: History curriculum Reply with quote

A few years ago, we found an excellent curriculum writer named Rea C. Berg, author of the Beautiful Feet curriculum series. All of the programs are literature based, so expect your kid(s) to do a fair amount of reading. There are novels set in the specified period as well as some but not much text style reading. Included too, is some A/V material, so the kids get a good variety. My dyslexic son has enjoyed the reading and asked to do the Medieval series for next year. The oldest is an avid reader and also enjoyed the series, even if she finished it half way through the year. The youngest is anxious to make the change next year. She finished with ABeka history this year, which by the way, has an excellent if not slightly dry history program. She just didn't enjoy it and I think was intrigued by what her siblings were doing. Check out other Beautiful Feet programs. We used the Classical Music curriculum and it was excellent.
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Any ideologically based history program like that of Abeka, is a great disservice to any child.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basilosaurus wrote:
Rich,

Any ideologically based history program like that of Abeka, is a great disservice to any child.

Basilosaurus,

If you read through more of my posts, you will find that while I applaud the structure and discipline of ABeka particularly the language and mathematics components, I have modified and/or substituted the others. On the subject of ABeka history, like you, I saw the limitations not because it utilizes Biblical excerpts or Christian authors but because it misrepresents later history. I still believe it does an excellent job of introducing ancient history. Through the years, I've used Will Durant, Beautiful Feet, Prentice Hall, Time, Life, Newsweek, National Geographic and programs from Nova, A&E and the History channel. I think teaching any exclusive viewpoint does a disservice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: