Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is homeschooling advantage to the child?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Starting a Homeschool
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do you prefer your child to enroll?
home school
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
boarding school
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

candiamae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Is homeschooling advantage to the child? Reply with quote

Homeschooling also called home education or home school is the education of children at home, typically by parents or guardians, rather than in a public or private boarding school. Especially in the English-speaking nations, homeschooling is an option for parents who wish to provide a quality of education or social environment that they believe is unattainable in schools. Homeschooling may refer to instruction in the home under the supervision of correspondence schools (high school) or umbrella schools. A curriculum-free philosophy of homeschooling may be called unschooling, a term coined in 1977 by American educator John Holt in his magazine Growing Without Schooling.
Critics of home schooling contended that it did not adequately prepare students academically and socially. By 1998 only 37 states had statutes that set standards for home schooling. Home-school advocates, however, pointed to an average score of 23 by their students on the American College Testing Program (ACT) test, compared with 21 for those who were educated traditionally.
HippieMike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh homeschool rules!!!
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love 2 homeschool. I do notice that homeschooled children don't seem 2 b as mature as those in schools. I believe that is fine. I think kids shouldn't be that mature or carry the stress that they carry today.
RB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Immature or Simply Innocent? Reply with quote

Are home schooled kids immature, or simply not street-wise? My ten-year-old isn't as hip as the other ten-year-olds in the neighborhood. That means he doesn't have his own cell phone. He doesn't wear his pants around his ass. He doesn't swear. He is unaware of the coolest violent video games. All of these are good things.
bartii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I have noticed is that many of the homeschool kids were a lot like we were and the previous generations before. Many of our kids are not street wise. I believe it is our responsibility to either keep them informed of what is around us. I also believe that we are to let our kids know that we are still the authority, not friends, and that even though you want that close relationship there are some things that we are going to decide what is best for them. Hopefully they will learn this and use this when they get older.

There is somewhat of a protection around homeschooling. Look at our days. I remember when we first got a computer in our high school 25 years ago or so. It was a Commodore 64. WOW! were were special. This was so cool. Of course you couldn't do much with it. Remember our first home video games? We had Ping pong and break out?

There were not 400 tv stations to watch and our parents made us dress decent. I make my boys dress decent. They aren't allowed to wear their pants half way down their butts.

I believe many homeschool kids seem immature compared to those who are attending schools, just because of the influences are different. They are a bit more protected, which is not all that bad.
krish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its true that homes school is quite much effective for the students. They have more opportunities and equipment for learning and concentration then the public school system. Also it has even been seen that they are found more confident then the other students. It is because that they are focused more then in the public schools.
Cert IV in Training & Assessment
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra protection for homeschoolers is great, but it can be to the childs extreme disadvantage later on when they do go off on there own. Ive known lots of people who go absolutely nuts when they get their first taste of real freedom.
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan wrote:
The extra protection for homeschoolers is great, but it can be to the childs extreme disadvantage later on when they do go off on there own. Ive known lots of people who go absolutely nuts when they get their first taste of real freedom.

Hi, Ryan, and welcome!

Your comment presupposes that the homeschooled child is being isolated from "the world" or "reality." Our homeschooling was always engaged with the actual world around us, so the kids now that they're essentially adults (19 and 21 and now in college) are just continuing on as they always have.

Frank
BigGeorge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids went to public school, my oldest till second 4th grade. None of them want to go back. We live in a nice area with "good" schools, and I wouldn't send them back there. My oldest had severe speech issues, thus the reason to public school him for the extra services in the beginning. He was a lottery ticket to the school system, they pulled him out of regular class to throw him in all these extra classes that he didn't need, all to keep their budgets propped up. They put him in remedial / slow learner classes, etc. We complained and were assured that they would move him along...lies. Couple that with our second child having the laziest teacher on the planet, just counting the days to her golden pension. All the homework they would send home (often hours worth) because they had no time to actually do work in class all day, work that we often had to teach to them because they didn't know it! We were homeschooling anyway I said a million times. Then came the cliques and the changes in my older son's "friends", I didn't like what I saw there, neither did my son.

My kids had no time for extra activities or socializing, scouts or sports or even friends due to all the hours of homework.

We have been homeschooling for over two years, My kids now are in scouts, go to an awesome Christian music co-op and have learned to play piano, guitar & violin & more. Have friends that we approve of, we have so much more time as a family & my oldest was more than caught up to grade with his schooling in that first year at home.

While they are sheltered in some ways, they are well aware of the real world and are out in the real world more often , just watching the news is an eye opener that the world is not how we live in our home. They have more money prowess than kids their ages and probably more than a lot of adults, too. They are not delusional to the ugliness of the outside world, and that what the world might find as fun or freedom has consequences that often prove not fun or offer any freedom. We have in depth conversations about these things. They don't have to look too far to see how those consequences are baring out on someone else's life. They "get it". They don't get the "don't do it because I say so", they get here's what happens to most people who try this or that, get hooked on xyz & why they might've tried it due to their shaky foundation at home, etc.

It is work, although I find it easier than the stress the other way around. It's comes at a cost, because one parent staying at home vs. working a regular job means that we had to cut back on living expenses, but we see our children as our biggest responsibility & investment and that makes it worth it. The old "in a 100 years what will it matter...."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Starting a Homeschool All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: