Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking of starting...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gem

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Thinking of starting... Reply with quote

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a former college professor who has been an at-home dad for three years. I have a third grader and a preK kid. The older is doing okay in school, though she's had some social interaction awkwardness and receives extra services for reading. The younger one has done well after a rough start to the year.

I've been reading a lot about homeschooling and like much of what I learn. Mostly, I like the opportunities to travel, which we like to do as a family, without worrying about taking the kids out of school. Also appealing is a more efficient approach to academics, instead of the waiting and waiting that takes place in public school. Finally, the type of socialization in public school -- peer pressure, bullying, cliques -- isn't appealing at all, especially considering our kids are sensitive types.

Some concerns I have...

1. Can I handle this? Do I want to? I had planned to return to teaching part-time next year, not out of necessity, just for something to do while the kids are in school. A part of me feels that one major change to my career path is enough while another part figures that HS is just a logical continuation of what I'm already doing. Can I handle being with the kids all day?

2. Socialization. I'm not the most social person, and I'm concerned that I wouldn't be up to getting the kids involved regularly with other HS families. We live in a very rural area which is conservative and traditional. There are other HS families, but most are Christian-based (we would not be) and, of course, run by moms, which makes for some uncommon ground from the get-go. An hour + away, there are some HS groups that seem to be more secular and liberal, so maybe a bi-weekly trip would be in order.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to sharing info and ideas with you all.

Best,
G
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm a stay-at-home dad (retired) who is an atheist (so, we're pretty secular) and an unschooler (that's about as far from school as you can go). I have two default resources I typically recommend. The first is the writings fo John Holt; pick up anything of his at your local library. The second is a coupla websites:
http://joyfullyrejoycing.com/
http://www.sandradodd.com/unschooling

Good luck however you choose to pursue this for your family.

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: