Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Man Of Many Hats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Working From Home
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: A Man Of Many Hats Reply with quote

Or should I say "A man of many business cards". I have several home businesses myself. I am a website designer (www.gbiznet.com), amatuer racing-photographer (www.racing-photos.com), and eBay Seller ("streetartist"). And next month, my wife will be back home also starting her own mortgage broker business.

I have some suggestions on how you may start your own part-time business at home that would only require several hours a week. No, its not an MLM scheme. It is based upon your interests or hobbies. Hint: look at the ads on this page.

I'll type some more info offline a little later and post it back here in this thread.

Mark

Last edited by BigDaddy on Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm a little hesitant to say this now after an earlier PM conversation with another member of this forum, I'll throw it out there to share anyway.

A fun and fairly simple way to earn some extra income is to select a favorite topic, hobby, or a website you visit most frequently. Then start your own website on it! For example, this here website (HomeSchoolDads.com) I started and launched just last month. The revenue generated by those pesky Google ads you see over to the left have generated $268 already! I have several "information" type websites that generate in total over $700 per month from the Google ads alone. Plus there's other smaller income from the books and stuff sold through affiliate programs.

What got me interested in this was the guy from www.tintdude.com. His website is all about window tinting. Yet he draws so much traffic to his website that he makes over $2000 PER MONTH from his Google ads alone!

Now how does that sound to you? And the best part is that it is risidual income! If I didn't do anything for several months, I'd still make my average $700 per month. But if I continue working an hour a day building the content on my websites, where they're EACH making $2k a month... why would my wife have to go to work? Hopefully, by summer this is what our goal is: check out www.awaywego.us.

But please do me a favor. Now that I've shared this knowledge with you, pick something other than a website for HomeSchool Dads. And if you need some help getting started, let me know.

Thanks,
Mark
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verrrry Interesting.

My daughter and I are working on a web comic. She's doing the artwork, and I'm doing the plot and script. I've got the servers and the bandwidth to start the project, and I was wondering what ad revenues might look like. We're still a few months before unveiling it as we're developing our work techniques and pacing so that we have a stable product to present to the web. I'm also looking at when it would be cost effective to increase our bandwith.

Paul
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Verrrry Interesting.

My daughter and I are working on a web comic. She's doing the artwork, and I'm doing the plot and script. I've got the servers and the bandwidth to start the project, and I was wondering what ad revenues might look like. We're still a few months before unveiling it as we're developing our work techniques and pacing so that we have a stable product to present to the web. I'm also looking at when it would be cost effective to increase our bandwith.

Paul

Hi Paul,
Sounds like a fun project. If you'd like some opinions before you launch it, let us know and we could preview it for you.

Mark
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, we'll do that.

Paul
dvanella

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Where do I start? Reply with quote

OK... The wife and I have had this crazy dream that if only I could get a home-based business that would be able to replace my current income (and then some, hopefully), and this business could be computer/Internet based, I could be home and help with homeschooling the kids (which would be great!) And we could run it from a laptop so we could pick-up anytime we wanted and travel as long as we could get access to the Internet for a few hours a day.

So, the last few weeks I have been looking into this. I have heard a lot about this pay per click advertising. I even think we have a great idea for a website. We have the business sense to make it work and we certainly have the motivation.

The problem is we both are trained and experienced counselors and I have training and experience in management. I am pretty computer and Internet savvy on the used end, but setting up my own website for business is quite foreign to me. Except for the past several weeks as I have looked into it, I have really never considered it an option.

I guess I am seeing it a feasible option the more I learn. The problem is my "learning" is piecemeal at best right now. Can any of you direct me to a good resource to start from square one on how to setup a website for business purposes. What are the startup costs? What skills would I need to develop? What's the effort needed? etc...

Any guidance and/or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Dvanella
dvanella@sbcglobal.net
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dvanella,
The best I can say is to stick with your expertise. Focus on the content of your website to start with and leave the "technical" aspect of it to a website designer. Ok, I admit that is my business, but here's the way I look at it:

I can fix the brakes on my car. I took autoshop in highschool way back when. I've replaced a few along the way in my life. But now, is it worth it for me to spend the majority of a day doing what should normally take an hour? What if something goes wrong, like a bolt breaking? Do I have the proper tools to fix that? Is it going to take even more of my time to fix a new problem?

Now I take my car to the shop for repairs. I let a professional fix it correctly the first time. I can bring my laptop along, do some work while I'm waiting...

You get the idea. Have a professional get you started with the website. You provide the content, they work on the technical and the design of it. Once your initial website is done, adding new pages and updating original pages, is much easier to do.

Normally, I charge $500 for up to a 6 HTML page website. However, since you came through this forum, I can either offer you the same for $400 or add a forum like this one for FREE. ($150 value) You can find out more about my web design work at www.gbiznet.com.

I hope that helps.
Mark
Paul

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same lines as what Mark said, if you are tempted to run your own servers, either through co-location or through a high bandwidth communication line in your home or business, find a competant geek who will work with you. I can point you to a few reources that will have a web server perking along in no time, but the nuances of system management and security are worth years of study even for those of us with our brains bent in that fashion.

Paul
nobiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really interestong to read about i think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Working From Home All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: