Home School Dads

Line


Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spring?!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rich



Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 173
Location: Coastal New England

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Spring?! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since there was any activity here and I thought it would be a good time to say hi and wish you happy spring- such as it is... I hope you are all doing well and that your school years are drawing to a fulfilling close. It's the case for 2/3 of my little classroom- son is having a difficult time. It's always been an uphill climb for him. He's had a few okay years but we've jumped the tracks this year. Time to go back to the drawing board. Wish us well and prayers are always welcome.

Peace,

Rich
_________________
homeschooling since '97: daughter, 18- away at college, son, 16 and daughter 13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank



Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 148
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same to you! And good luck with your son. Hope things improve in the near future. Summer's coming!

We leave tomorrow (Thursday the 19th) for an unschooling conference over the (long) weekend in Oregon. That'll be fun. Especially during the "official" meeting of SSUDs (Secret Society of Unschooling Dads), when we can drink beer and talk about our wives and kids with no social filtering cuz it'll be just MEN! <grin> Kinda like here but livelier!

I'm working right now (unfortunately for fun time but fortunately for the old bank account) so we won't be doing any big family things for the next couple of months. However, I'll be done at the end of June and we're talking about going to Italy for the Summer to visit our former exchange student and her family. Now *that* could be a swell time. They've offered to let us use their vacation house on Lake Garda as our "home base." Sigh... I'm ready NOW!

See ya,

Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rich



Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 173
Location: Coastal New England

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Same to you! And good luck with your son. Hope things improve in the near future. Summer's coming!

We leave tomorrow (Thursday the 19th) for an unschooling conference over the (long) weekend in Oregon. That'll be fun. Especially during the "official" meeting of SSUDs (Secret Society of Unschooling Dads), when we can drink beer and talk about our wives and kids with no social filtering cuz it'll be just MEN! <grin> Kinda like here but livelier!

I'm working right now (unfortunately for fun time but fortunately for the old bank account) so we won't be doing any big family things for the next couple of months. However, I'll be done at the end of June and we're talking about going to Italy for the Summer to visit our former exchange student and her family. Now *that* could be a swell time. They've offered to let us use their vacation house on Lake Garda as our "home base." Sigh... I'm ready NOW!

See ya,

Frank


Hey Frank,

Thanks for writing. Boy, I sure would like to join your SSUD conference. It sounds great! We have nothing like that around here but definitely could use such an association. It would be great to kick back and have a beer with a few guys who knew what I was talking about. Thanks too for the good luck wishes. I think we will be okay but it's a little rough now. We've been working really hard at the student-teacher thing for over ten years now and sometimes it interferes with the father-son thing. He has ADHD, Dyslexia and now I'm starting to wonder a little about Autistic tendencies but we're leaving that up to the professionals to figure out. Meanwhile, he's doing well in other areas and becoming a fine and respectable young man. We both know there's light at the end of the tunnel but it's far ahead. Have a good spring yourself and enjoy that conference. Have a great time in Italy too! Thanks again and stay in touch.

Rich
_________________
homeschooling since '97: daughter, 18- away at college, son, 16 and daughter 13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bartii



Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 180
Location: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

I have been so busy I haven't even had time to get on the computer except to do work or help the boys with their schooling.

I will keep you in my prayers. I believe with God's guidance you will be successful in teaching your son. What is he struggling in?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich



Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 173
Location: Coastal New England

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartii wrote:
Hey Rich,

I have been so busy I haven't even had time to get on the computer except to do work or help the boys with their schooling.

I will keep you in my prayers. I believe with God's guidance you will be successful in teaching your son. What is he struggling in?


Hey Bart,

Thanks for taking a minute to touch base and thanks too for the prayers. I appreciate you're reminder. God will guide us through this. It's so easy to get bogged down with the small stuff. Even though this is big- it's really small when you think of eternity. It seems that with the mix of learning needs and social-developmental issues that accompany them, son is regressing a little. He's having a lot of trouble with accountabiity and this clashes with his fifteen year old bids for independence. School is the furthest thing from his mind and he's taking a step backward with social and emotional development. He will have to take the Iowas this year because he hasn't completed enough assignments or tests to put in a portfilio. Chances are that he will not do well because he doesn't test well-even with the extra time allowed. He will likely stay back this year. He cannot reason this out and thinks we're over-reacting to his poor performance. In reality, he's rover estimating the amount of work he's really done. We've spent a lot of time prompting and flat out "checking" him when he gets behind but, to no avail. Because of his immature executive reasoning ability, it's often like working with a five year old- only this one has a moustache.

Enough of my story. How is your schoolyear winding down?

Rich
_________________
homeschooling since '97: daughter, 18- away at college, son, 16 and daughter 13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bartii



Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 180
Location: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

You know I can actually understand what you are talking. I enrolled my sons in a homeschool co-op where I teach P.E to the 5th -9th graders. I homeschool them on Monday, Wed, Fri, and sometimes the weekend. It has been quite the adventure.

My oldest son, just turned thirteen, has decided this year unless his assignment is printed on paper for him to do he isn't going to do it. He has refused taking notes on what he is supposed to do. In fact, there are times he won't even turn in assignments. It is like I have to spoon feed him.

When he was in fifth grade I held him back in certain subjects because he just didn't get it and wasn't taking school serious enough. There is a possibility I may hold him back in seventh. His maturity isn't where I want it. But, that may be a problem with me and not him. His grades aren't great and we have done some outside tutoring because he and I just don't see eye to eye sometimes.

I am ready for the school year to be over. However, I do keep them in school during the summer time. I usually have them do 2 to 3 hours of school/wk. I use critical thinking books and they have to keep up with their math.

I will ttyl. It is good to hear from you.

I will keep you in my prayers.

bwb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich



Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 173
Location: Coastal New England

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartii wrote:
Rich,

You know I can actually understand what you are talking. I enrolled my sons in a homeschool co-op where I teach P.E to the 5th -9th graders. I homeschool them on Monday, Wed, Fri, and sometimes the weekend. It has been quite the adventure.

My oldest son, just turned thirteen, has decided this year unless his assignment is printed on paper for him to do he isn't going to do it. He has refused taking notes on what he is supposed to do. In fact, there are times he won't even turn in assignments. It is like I have to spoon feed him.

When he was in fifth grade I held him back in certain subjects because he just didn't get it and wasn't taking school serious enough. There is a possibility I may hold him back in seventh. His maturity isn't where I want it. But, that may be a problem with me and not him. His grades aren't great and we have done some outside tutoring because he and I just don't see eye to eye sometimes.

I am ready for the school year to be over. However, I do keep them in school during the summer time. I usually have them do 2 to 3 hours of school/wk. I use critical thinking books and they have to keep up with their math.

I will ttyl. It is good to hear from you.

I will keep you in my prayers.

bwb


Hey Bart,

Doesn't it just seem that frequently, boys need a little more time to bake? When most everyone gets to adulthood, we're all in about the same place in terms of functionality but it's a long haul for some of us, eh? I'm with you too, as far as keeping the academic ball rolling. We generally operate along a trimester basis taking week long breaks in between. With the exception of the first year, we have schooled year 'round.

Take care friend, and know that you're in my prayers too.

Rich
_________________
homeschooling since '97: daughter, 18- away at college, son, 16 and daughter 13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RB



Joined: 06 Apr 2006
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
We leave tomorrow (Thursday the 19th) for an unschooling conference over the (long) weekend in Oregon. That'll be fun.


Isn't a "conference" a little formal and organized for unschoolers? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank



Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 148
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB wrote:
Frank wrote:
We leave tomorrow (Thursday the 19th) for an unschooling conference over the (long) weekend in Oregon. That'll be fun.


Isn't a "conference" a little formal and organized for unschoolers? :lol:


Ouch! Ya got me! As Hamlet would say, "A hit. A very palpable hit." <grin>

We did have "chats" instead of "lectures" and "funshops" instead of "workshops" and, like I said, the SSUDs meeting was lubricated by copious quantites of beer. <VBG>

It was a really great time. This was the first West coast one they've had; but they're already planning for next year's festivities. We'll definitely attend. We might even attend the national one next year, which is almost always on the East coast which makes it less attractive for those of us out here on the Left Coast, ya know?

Frank and the krewe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
RB



Joined: 06 Apr 2006
Posts: 55

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any convention that includes copious amounts of beer is a hit with me! I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank



Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 148
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
Hey Frank,

Thanks for writing. Boy, I sure would like to join your SSUD conference. It sounds great! We have nothing like that around here but definitely could use such an association. It would be great to kick back and have a beer with a few guys who knew what I was talking about. Thanks too for the good luck wishes. I think we will be okay but it's a little rough now. We've been working really hard at the student-teacher thing for over ten years now and sometimes it interferes with the father-son thing. He has ADHD, Dyslexia and now I'm starting to wonder a little about Autistic tendencies but we're leaving that up to the professionals to figure out. Meanwhile, he's doing well in other areas and becoming a fine and respectable young man. We both know there's light at the end of the tunnel but it's far ahead. Have a good spring yourself and enjoy that conference. Have a great time in Italy too! Thanks again and stay in touch.

Rich


Rich,

I dunno if it helps or not; but I'd remind you of some facts about George Patton, one of the great military minds of the 20th century.

He was homeschooled in his early years and didn't learn to read until his teens. He was held back a year at West Point because of poor academic performance. He was always only semi-literate, despite his love for books and his predilection for writing (bad) poetry. Biographers have strong suspicions that he was dyslexic, ADHD, etc.

Who knows what your son can achieve, despite all those labels and diagnoses which may (or may not) be as accurate for him as they are for General Patton?

Good luck and have fun!

Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rich



Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 173
Location: Coastal New England

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Frank,

Thanks for getting back to me. I really appreciate the supportive words. I didn't know any of that info. about Patton. Interesting. Things are still plugging along here even with the bumps in the road.

Takd care and thanks again

Rich
_________________
homeschooling since '97: daughter, 18- away at college, son, 16 and daughter 13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Househusband



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 12
Location: Arkansas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much, things have a habit of falling into place when the time comes.

My oldest son has always had a communication problem. He didn't learn to speak until he was 5 and I taught him to speak by teaching him how to read first ( sounds backwards , but it worked )
Before then the"experts" had him lined up for the severly retarded class and strong medications, said he had adhd, autism etc and so forth. They said he couldn't focus on anything....a seasoned unschooling friend of mine pointed out one day that he was the exact opposit, he focuses on everything around him. He just gets totally absorbed in his surroundings that he has trouble filtering things out. So we've had to adjust. Usually I can just have him go out and run around the house a handful of times or do a bunch of pushups etc and he'll burn off the extra energy and feel great, then he can sit down and work.

He's 10 now, He still has communication and comprehension isues, but I'm just not going to worry about it anymore. I graduated high school at 15. He's obviously not going to do that, but so long as he's learning, I really don't care how long it takes, it's not a race. He's starting 4th grade english and reading by the Rod and Staff curriculum ...but I just started him on a college level pre algebra computer course, So at this point,I've obviously figured out that his strong point is not verbal or written communication ( the main things thet the"experts" rate children on), but his math skills come natural. most mathmatitians and physicists I know aren't the greatest communicators ( the "experts" think that all mathmatitians scientists and physicists have obsessive compulsive disorders, well duh, who else is going to work at something that long...and the "Experts" want to weed those behaviours out...huh? Can't have anybody different, we're only supposed to raise sheeple , right) .

If we were to believe the experts, then anyone who would rather be by themself working on things, instead of talking is a nut job.

We just came off of a long break after running into a wall on comprehension issues, we headed off into unschooling and he worked mostly on learning how to build things ( Nothing like having a kid who begs for new tools instead of video games
Very Happy
We got off into wood, metal, plastic, and he's developed a fascination with clay animation and has been quite getting quite good with creating figures.

It's taken me a bit to get used to not getting all worked up about no progress in the acedemics, but that's just how he is, he'll go through stages where nothing clicks. At first, I'd keep trying to force him to get the material, we'd spend three ,four days on one lesson. It was nuts.

Now when we run into a brick wall, ( which , interestingly enough, seems to coincide with hard growth spurts ) we just take a break and I let him persue his interests for a while until he's ready for the books again. Now we get to enjoy all of our learning time.

The SSUD sounds like fun. Too bad all such events are always way too far away from here, and so far as I know there is only one other homeschooling dad rumored to be in this vacinity, but I have yet to run across him. ( homeschooling dads..kind of like bigfoot, everybody knows someone who's seen one, but nobody knows exactly where
Mr. Green

---------Robert
_________________
---------Robert, father of Wolf 14 and Katarina 8...and Hauke 5.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich



Joined: 18 May 2005
Posts: 173
Location: Coastal New England

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the good reminders. Your story sounds a lot like one I could write only I was labeled learning disabled and in highschool, the "experts didn't encourage me to apply for college. They didn't think I had the right material. Funny that later, while working full time and raising kids, I would graduate with honors and work in the field of medicine. I guess I was a late bloomer, like my son. Our sons sound a lot alike. I remember doing many of the same activities, especially building things. I do believe that we learn when the time is right for us. The situation that I'm in right now is that my son has basically shut down. I learned long ago not to measure or quantify anything with him and was satisfied as long as he got up and did something every day. Usually the accomplishments were noteworthy but, not lately. Something is off and we need to explore. I'm sure that it's a temporary thing, as you suggest, a big fifteen-year-old growth spurt. When the dust is settled, he'll be moving along again.

I appreciate your input.
Thanks again,

Rich
_________________
homeschooling since '97: daughter, 18- away at college, son, 16 and daughter 13
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank



Joined: 13 May 2005
Posts: 148
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Househusband wrote:
...snip...
The SSUD sounds like fun. Too bad all such events are always way too far away from here, and so far as I know there is only one other homeschooling dad rumored to be in this vacinity, but I have yet to run across him. ( homeschooling dads..kind of like bigfoot, everybody knows someone who's seen one, but nobody knows exactly where
:mrgreen:

---------Robert


Just a quick FYI. The national unschooling conference, with the attendant meeting of the SSUDs, was held in St. Louis a coupla years ago; that's not too far from you. This year it's near Asheville, NC. If you're interested:
http://www.liveandlearnconference.org/

Have fun,

Frank - unschooling dad with a number of cohorts here in the Seattle area - and I even like most of 'em! <grin>
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Space

Space
Space
space