Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

climate discussions with children
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, Frank. I'd love to come. Actually, we will be IN New Orleans in a few weeks; making a second mission trip to help out hurricane victims. We went last year during Mardi Gras week and gutted houses. My youngest celebrated her 12th birthday ON Mardi Gras while there. It was a lot of fun. We'll miss the actual holiday this year but still plan to have a lot of fun anyway. This year's project list includes rebuilding houses. The adults will work on that while the kids work on landscaping. My son is excited because he's now old enough to join the building crews. My older daughter is disappointed that she can't go but she's away at college. She and a friend were instrumental in planning last year's first ever trip to New Orleans.

Have a great time!

Rich
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Rich,

I remember you posting about your previous trip to N.O. I once again extend my personal thanks for what it's worth. That poor city still needs a lot of help.

Kudos to you and your family!

Frank
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Hey, Rich,

I remember you posting about your previous trip to N.O. I once again extend my personal thanks for what it's worth. That poor city still needs a lot of help.

Kudos to you and your family!

Frank

Thanks, Frank. I appreciate it. Look for a post sometime after we get back.

Rich
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting climate update on the ice in Antarctica and Greenland came through in a Scientific American article recently, which I found quite disturbing. I would check it out in their online site if possible. Although the East Antarctic ice is moving quite slowly, the West Antarctic ice sheets and the Greenland sheets are of great concern. If these latter two find their way into the ocean, sea levels rise by around 30 ft. If the East Antarctic sheet were to began a rapid descent to the ocean, we would be saying our goodbyes to Florida. This scenario including the Eastern Antarctic ice, appears to be centuries away. Let us not forget that only a feww years ago, scientists were predicting an open Northwest passage around 2050.....It happened last year. Now there are credible scientists suggesting that the North Pole will be liquid....THIS SUMMER!
Frank

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my (many) cousins is a research biologist wit NOAA. He complains that the specific thing which he works with and which concerns him greatly, which no one seems to be talking about very much, is the rapid change in pH of our world's oceans in recent decades.

I'll hafta check out that SA article. Thanks for the tip.
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

The formation of carbonic acid in our oceans has been a concern for a long time. The very ability of our oceans to take on additioal carbon is shaky at best, and could leave them on the sidelines as a carbon sink. There are other issues with the oceans that would suggest that the fate of humanity will be tied to what happens to the oceans and the creatures within. In fact it may come down to the viability of phytoplankton and other tiny species already challenged by pollution.
RB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I sure am glad I missed this conversation. The verbiage alone precludes open, honest, discussion:

“Although the climate debate is pretty much settled within the scientific community (like evolution), self imposed ignorance still holds court with far too many people...”

Why would anyone participate in a discussion where if they take a position against the “fact” of man-made global warming, specifically, or global warming, in general, they are label as engaging in “self imposed ignorance”? Nice.

“It has motivated the kids to do research on the bad/non/anti-science of the cretins those people reference in support of their simple *belief* that gw is not real, to use logic to see through their fallacies or specious arguments or flat-out lies, etc.”

The 31,000 scientists who have signed a petition stating “There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate,” are merely “cretins.”

“I think that the deniers went out of their way to discredit the movie.”

“Yeah, wouldn't it be nice to run with the pack and pretend that there isn't a serious environmental concern right in front of us?”

You might want to hang a sign on this website’s home page, “Global Warming Opponents Need Not Apply.”
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB,

We await your scientific scholarship on the issue, as well as the peer reviewed publications authored by the so called 31,000 scientists who you claim deny this issue as being at least partly due to man made endeavors.

Basilosuarus
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overwealming evidnce supports the concept of global warming. In fact, I feel that it would be foolish at this point to "poke our heads in the sand" and pretend that there isn't a most serious problem to contend with. We in the "States" contribute largely to the global problem so it is prudent to make every effort to reduce our carbon footprint(s). In fact, it isn't asking too much to encourage everyone you know to do the same.

In favor of a green planet...

Rich
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB wrote:
...snip...The 31,000 scientists who have signed a petition stating “There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate,” are merely “cretins.”
...snip...

Exactly like I said, RB. Cretins and anti-science idiots.

The famous 31000-signatory petition: Originated by that idiot Robinson in his bunker in Oregon. Signed by a plethora of Ph.D.s in *theology*, etc. but "scientists" - ummmnn, not really, just a coupla kooks like Robinson, the senile Seitz, and the hired-gun of Big Oil, Fox News, and the Cato Institute - Milloy of junkscience. Naturally, you also get all the ID pseudo-scientists jumping in on this particular ideological diatribe.

Global Climate Change is real, it's measurable, and it's anthropogenic to a great extent.

Frank

P.S. The world is more than 10000 years old, too. And the earth goes around the sun. A coupla more things you might like to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: