Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver's education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Others and Electives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Driver's education Reply with quote

Anybody else dealing with this?

Ouch! My wallet is hurting just thinking about it. The only good news is that there is no additional insurance cost during the training period, only when the kid actually obtains a license. Then it'll jump about $1K/year. Meanwhile, of course, there's the mandatory driver's ed course which costs about $500~600 locally. Man! There was a time when you could get an SCCA roadracing license for that!

Color me grumpy! (and poor!)

Frank
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "mandatory" drivers ed course at $500-$600? Who else has a mandatory course? I'll have to check here in central Florida. It sounds like just another way for the gov to get some of our money. Why can't we just teach our kids the responsibilities and dangers of driving a car and then letting them go down and pass a test.
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigDaddy wrote:
A "mandatory" drivers ed course at $500-$600? Who else has a mandatory course? I'll have to check here in central Florida. It sounds like just another way for the gov to get some of our money. Why can't we just teach our kids the responsibilities and dangers of driving a car and then letting them go down and pass a test.

Thanks for replying and no argument from me. It's a ripoff, IMO. This is Washington state we're talking about.

If your kid is willing to wait til age 18, the mandatory driving course doesn't apply. If you want a license before 18, ya gotta take the course. Interestingly enough, most of the high schools used to give courses (still at around $350~400) but they seem to have stopped even that. It's go with a private company for half a thousand dollars or wait til you're 18.

Luckily for us personally, one of our friends (and a fellow unschooler) here in the area owns just such a driver training company and he'll give us a "friendly" rate. Even better, he's pals with the owner of the local SCCA training company and will get us a good rate there, too. Phew! I might be cynical about the generic driver's ed course required by the state but I strongly favor having my kids take some SCCA training. That's what made me a decent, smart, safe driver when I was younger.

Frank
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Driver's Ed. Reply with quote

Hi guys,

We have mandatory driver's ed. here in Maine and it costs about the same. The age of eligibility is 15 1/2 to get the permit and when the kid is 16, (s)he can take the road test for a license.

The rule in our house is that you have to raise the money for the driver's ed. class yourself. Our first was ready with cash on the spot and we felt that she was responsible enough to handle driving. She not only paid for the course but paid the insurance premium difference as well; another $600 after the good student discount. Go Geico!

Child number two is now eligible because he's 15 1/2 but is nowhere near ready for the responsibility. We won't mention the fact that he doesn't have the $600 either. He does however, spend a lot of time shopping for his dream truck...

Good topic. Thanks for posting it.

Rich
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Driver's Ed. Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
Hi guys,

We have mandatory driver's ed. here in Maine and it costs about the same. The age of eligibility is 15 1/2 to get the permit and when the kid is 16, (s)he can take the road test for a license.

The rule in our house is that you have to raise the money for the driver's ed. class yourself. Our first was ready with cash on the spot and we felt that she was responsible enough to handle driving. She not only paid for the course but paid the insurance premium difference as well; another $600 after the good student discount. Go Geico!

Child number two is now eligible because he's 15 1/2 but is nowhere near ready for the responsibility. We won't mention the fact that he doesn't have the $600 either. He does however, spend a lot of time shopping for his dream truck...

Good topic. Thanks for posting it.

Rich

That's pretty much the way it is here in Washington state, except that you can take the class and get your permit at 15 rather than 15-1/2, followed by taking the actual test at 16.

My older daughter will be 15 on 9/15/07 and we'll sign her up then. The younger one is 13-1/2 and, like your son, has already been fantasy shopping for "her" vehicle: a Lotus Elise in krypton green. She hasn't yet completely settled on which option package(s) she wants. (cynical grin)

We, of course, told her she could certainly have that as her car - as long as she paid for the car itself and the associated annual insurance. Ahhh, kids! We've tried to teach them the hard-headed realities of money but sometimes it just doesn't seem to get through.

Frank
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update. OUr older daughter has her learner's permit and we've been practicing. During the last practice we had our first crunch. She plowed into the rear of my BIL's car in the driveway. The $$$ drain has begun.
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Quick update. OUr older daughter has her learner's permit and we've been practicing. During the last practice we had our first crunch. She plowed into the rear of my BIL's car in the driveway. The $$$ drain has begun.

Ouch!

Good luck, Frank.

Rich
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

We just got back from a 3K mile roadtrip to San Diego and back. MJ had completed (and passed) her drivers' ed course in January and she helped drive on this trip. She did great, even at 80 mph on the California freeways. Phew!

She'll continue to practice til next Fall when she can test for her actual license to replace her learner's permit. Actually, we'll celebrate her birthday in Italy and we'll be in Europe for a few weeks thereafter as well; but we'll arrange a driving test for her as soon as we return home.

And then my insurance will go up. (grin)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Others and Electives All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: