Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

taking the plunge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icarus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: taking the plunge Reply with quote

I'm thankful that I found this site....my wife and I are in the final decision stages for homeschooling our almost 7 year old son. This decision comes after a kindergarten year in public school full of ups and downs (mainly with the "system" and how it affects our son...I'll share that later).

I was an average public school student who sort of drifted through the system, went to college, etc.... I can honestly say there wasn't anything "special" about my public school career. I am ready to help our son grow, but I am SO scared that I will screw him up. If there is a time when I feel out of my comfort zone, now is it. If the decision is made my wife will continue to stay at home with my son and 3 year old daughter.

The questions and fears: Can I do it? Can I help him blossom? Can I overcome the feeling that I am sheltering my son? Are we setting him up to become a social misfit?

Those are just a few, and yes, some are trivial and shallow on my part but I wanted to lay it all out and get some feedback from those who have gone through the same thing. As my handle indicates, I want to reach for the sun, I just don't want the wings burnt.

I'd appreciate any and all comments.

- Icarus
Rand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I was scared to death of messin around with our 7 & 8 year old minds, but I am glad I got over it.

There is certainly a transition period, but proper structure (in our case) helped overcome that.

My wife and I started the first of the year (see my post from back then for the reasons behind this), and we are so happy we did. There are no "system crashes" anymore and it is a good balance of teaching my wife and I do.

Best thing to do is research the teaching material. I am sure there is a local store in your area with this as well. Find the local homeschooling groups. They are popping up all over the place now. And if you have any questions, dont be afraid to ask them. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Hope I helped a little bit in the few minutes I had to respond.

Rand
icarus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand,

Thanks for the words...I will read your original post. I noticed you're in IL/WI. We are on the border as well.

Icarus
HippieMike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeschooling is something that we have thought of for years but only seriously considered over the last two years.

This year the Lord made it clear on so many levels that it was now time to take our children out of P. S. and begin homeschooling. So now, here we are!!!
mark_egp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the world of homeschooling. Better that you who know and love your children "mess with their 7 year old mind" than a paid professional with 20 other kids to "mess with" simultaneously. We've homeschooled our kids all the way, now up to 9th grade. I recently recorded some of our experiences at our family website: http://www.everygoodpath.net/

I think they might encourage you about the joyful adventure you're beginning and the wonderful fruitfulness that's possible for your family. You can contact me through the site if you have questions. Blessings to you and yours!
icarus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...we've requested the forms from the DPI and are ready to take the plunge. Thanks for the comments. I'll admit that all the "fears" from my first post are still here...but it's what's best for our son.
RB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets easier the longer that you do it. Ask a lot of questions. Learn from our mistakes. Share yours. It's a fun and rewarding experience.
furgeson4

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I tell you!! This has been a rough year for me. I was wondering if any one would have advice on how to motivate an 11 year old boy to get his stuff done. We assign work to do but it never gets done or is done in a very poor manner.

We are getting to the end of our rope and dont know what to do ---public school is NOT the answer!!!!

Jason Furgeson
furgeson4@aol.com
Rich

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

furgeson4 wrote:
Boy, I tell you!! This has been a rough year for me. I was wondering if any one would have advice on how to motivate an 11 year old boy to get his stuff done. We assign work to do but it never gets done or is done in a very poor manner.

We are getting to the end of our rope and dont know what to do ---public school is NOT the answer!!!!

Jason Furgeson
furgeson4@aol.com

Hi Jason,

I was writing the same things about my son when he was 11; and 12, and 13 and still write them now and he's 16. The minute you think you have found something that works, things fall apart again. It's very frustrating. I've found that frequent change keeps things moving even at a snail's pace. Your son may need a different curriculum, more frequent breaks, different study times and so on. He's at an age when unit studies are really effective so maybe you could try putting something together- and get his input. Does he have homeschooled friends that he could do unit studies with? I've found that at differrent times, working with a co-op helps because of the group learning activities. Other parents are teaching your kid, you're teaching other kids and that change can get you over some humps.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Rich

Ri
RB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We make it very clear to our oldest that participation in life outside of our home school is contingent upon completing his assignments to our expectations. If it is done poorly he returns to the table and does it again. There are days when we home school from beakfast through bedtime, but they are rare. He's learned. Lovingly hold your son's feet to the fire.
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB wrote:
We make it very clear to our oldest that participation in life outside of our home school is contingent upon completing his assignments to our expectations. If it is done poorly he returns to the table and does it again. There are days when we home school from beakfast through bedtime, but they are rare. He's learned. Lovingly hold your son's feet to the fire.

Hi RB,

Thinking failure to complete assignments was effort related, I tried that route with my son and soon learned how to create a hostile learning environment. Shortly after, my son was diagnosed with the not uncommon combination of above average intelligence and ADD/HD but with the twist of dyslexia to make it more interesting. Try to keep those feet on the fire. I'm convinced that if his curriculum wasn't changed up every fifteen minutes throughout his primary education he would probably still be functioning at a second grade level, drug and/or alcohol addicted and likely suicidal. Instead, his core academic skills are at grade level, he's excelling in science and history and he's considering a career in graphic design.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: