Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best learning materials for kids

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Books, Cds, Online, Help!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camille45

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Best learning materials for kids Reply with quote

What is your idea for the best learning materials for kids at home? Books, movies, or children's bible stories? Can you give me some title
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best learning materials for kids Reply with quote

camille45 wrote:
What is your idea for the best learning materials for kids at home? Books, movies, or children's bible stories? Can you give me some title

Hi Camille,

You ask a difficult question because there is no single best answer. There are limitless curricula out there which use all forms of media. Most of these curriculum sources offer comprehensive multisubject programs for those who prefer one-stop shopping. Purchasing your subject material from a single source ensures uniformity in structure and design meaning each subject will have a similar lesson plan, text style, etc. and is covered with the same degree of complexity. Other curriculum sources offer unit study methodology which incorporates many subjects into a single program. For example, while studying ancient Greek history, the child might explore the cultural history, geopraphy, architecture, music, language, government, mathematics and so on. This is not to say that curriculum you assemble from a variety of sources wouldn't be as good. Choosing which subjects and sources or designing unit studies is challenging but gratifying. This can be daunting for one new to homeschooling which is why I pointed out the other options. If possible, consult other homeschooling families to get ideas. What matters is that you and your kids feel comfortable with the choices made so don't hesitate to involve everyone. If they're part of the decision making process, they're more likely to be committed and the choices are likely to reflect their interests and learning styles. Even very young children will have preferences. Allowing kids to make choices whenever possible about their education and tailoring the learning to their needs and interests is one of the greatest benefits of home education. You may have to experiment a little in order to find what fits. This will likely change over time. A frequently heard saying among us is that the worst day of homeschooling is still better than the best day in public school. Good luck.

Rich
ronsky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For toddlers, i think you just give them simple books, like learn to write, learn to read ABCs... And some fairytales books. Make sure that you explain to them what is the moral value of those tales.
RB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta love the creativity of these salesmen, hiding a link to their website in the text of a message "asking for help and advice."
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never realized that. That is a little sneaky. Maybe I will advertise, secretly, our home business of bookkeeping.

bartii
ladycc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought seriously about homeschooling because I worried that our local public school (an excellent school that was awarded a national blue ribbon last year) would provide our children with too much of a cookie-cutter education. However, my children get A LOT out of school and there is a lot to be said for immersing children in a place that is solely dedicated to education. I think that books and movies are the best thing to teach kids easily with.
renetals

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really important what you say here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Books, Cds, Online, Help!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: