Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summertime!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Summertime! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Well here we are entering another heatwave yet sadly, a week ago, I noticed the goldenrod blooming, heralding the last weeks of summertime. It hardly seems right that we finally settle in for a bit of R & R and the back to school fliers are in the paper. Where's my lemonade?

Anyway, enough of that. How are you all doing? Ready for lessons to beghin? Do you have your curriculum set to go and your schedule planned out? Me either.

Okay, so what are you doing for your last summer hurrah? Taking any trips? Doing home improvements? Kids away at camp? Taking in summer theater and outdoor concerts? Aren't they great? Our Fresh Air Fund visitor left last week and our son just finished his second week as a camp counselor at the wilderness school he attended. Now he's counselor at VBS for the week in between his lawncutting jobs. Our older doughter is working a lot of hours and also counseling at VBS. I'm teaching at VBS this Wednesday and the youngest is away at String Camp this week. My wife just returned to work after shoulder surgery and trying to play catch up. And the beat goes on...

A nice relaxing summer, eh? Sound like yours? Why do we do this to ourselves? Okay, I'll stop whining now. There's still plenty of time to slow down and rest. It's still daylight at 8PM and we can still stay up late. We haven't taken the telescope up to the mountain top at midnight or had the bonfire at the beach yet but we'll do it.

Hope you're all having as much fun as we are. Take a sec and write. I miss you guys.

Take care,

Rich
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,
We're starting our school curriculum today. I've loaded the Alpha-Omega software into the kids laptops last month and got everything ready to go.

But in reality, we never really stopped. All through summer they practiced their math and penmenship once or twice a week. Plus all of the historical places we've been able to visit. Our RV travels took us through Alaska for 3 weeks at the beginning of July and we learned about glaciers, the salmon cycle, the oil pipeline and more.

I pray all the homeschooling dads (and moms) have enjoyed the summer break and are excited about another school year.
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy All!

It's been pretty quiet here during the summer. My daughter bumped up to level 4 gymnastics at the beginning of the summer, so she is at the gym 15 hours/wk. Last week she was at a creative arts camp at a local church every morning and then gymnastics every afternoon/evening. So, she was one tired puppy.

Over the weekend, my mom and my aunt & uncle took all the grandkids up to Cooperstown. They were up at 4 or 5 every morning and didn't get to sleep until 10 at night. So my daughter is simply exhausted right now.

We've been doing a (very) scaled-down version of school over the summer (i.e. reading, foreign languages) and I had planned to start back up with that this morning. But she was simply too tired, so I bagged it. We'll try again tomorrow morning.

We'll be starting additional subjects next week by adding in history, science, and handwriting. The following week we'll add in a few additional subjects.

I really prefer to start school in early August so that we'll have the leeway to take a week off later in the year if we need it.

Anyhow, that's our plan.

Godspeed All!
Ed
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigDaddy wrote:
Hey Rich,
We're starting our school curriculum today. I've loaded the Alpha-Omega software into the kids laptops last month and got everything ready to go.

But in reality, we never really stopped. All through summer they practiced their math and penmenship once or twice a week. Plus all of the historical places we've been able to visit. Our RV travels took us through Alaska for 3 weeks at the beginning of July and we learned about glaciers, the salmon cycle, the oil pipeline and more.

I pray all the homeschooling dads (and moms) have enjoyed the summer break and are excited about another school year.

Hey Mark,

I have to tell you that traveling the continent as you are doing has strongly encouraged us to do the same. Actually, it's been a dream to do that for some time but hearing from someone who's really doing it is powerful motivation. We're taking the year to determine financially how we can arrange it for next year. After that, one of the three kids will be in college making it harder to do as a family. Thanks again,

Rich
RB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Last Hurrah Reply with quote

We are taking our last trip of the summer this month. Mom and the boys head off to her parent's cabin in Wisconsin while I take the daughter to a friend's house in Indianapolis. We come home to preschool for the three-year-old on Tuesdays and Thursdays, home school school co-op on Wednesday mornings, a home school writing class on Monday and Thursday afternoons, and a full load of five-days-a-week curriculum. It's feast or famine around here. The famine has been nice...
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Last Hurrah Reply with quote

RB wrote:
We are taking our last trip of the summer this month. Mom and the boys head off to her parent's cabin in Wisconsin while I take the daughter to a friend's house in Indianapolis. We come home to preschool for the three-year-old on Tuesdays and Thursdays, home school school co-op on Wednesday mornings, a home school writing class on Monday and Thursday afternoons, and a full load of five-days-a-week curriculum. It's feast or famine around here. The famine has been nice...

Hi RB,

I can empathize with you. With the best of intentions, we enroll our kids into play groups, recreational sports, scouting, 4H, summer enrichment programs and so on. As homeschooling parents, we desparately want to avoid sin number one which is to fail to provide a well rounded experience for our kids. Let me share a lesson that somehow, I repeatedly need to learn. Occasionally we come to the realization that we're doing too much and we find ourselves and our kids burned out. At this point in our homeschooling parent career, we reprioritize and inevitably, lighten our load. We and our kids then breathe a grateful sigh of relief. Wise sages say that this is when true learnig takes place, during those quiet, reflective times of the day when nothing else happens. Give yourself and your kids the gift of quiet moments and it's time for me to do the same.

Rich
RB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Quiet Time Reply with quote

Wise words that I will take to heart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: