Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Prayer Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Dating Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My son has acquired the attention of a girl who is two years older than he is- he's fourteen looks and acts older and she is sixteen. He hasn't dated at all but we have no knowledge of her experience. I've just met her mother this evening and she seems "nice" enough but I don't get a sense that she is concerned about what her daughter is doing or that she even knows the extent of the girl's interest. My son certainly enjoys the attention from the girl and would like to pursue his instincts but is well aware that he is restricted and knows the reasons why. Their relationship developed innocently over several month's time while he attended his sessions at Sylvan Learning Center. Judging from his behavior and the relatively limited contact that they have had thus far, I believe the relationship has not progressed beyond flirting however, he receives email and love notes from her. My wife and I have had numerous discussions with our son about dating and the limits that he has and feel that from feedback he sends, he is comfortable with the restrictions. We've encouraged him to communicate honestly with the girl so that she is not led to believe that he can date her. In fact, we are in agreement that with his "blessing", we can be the "heavies" in restricting him from dating until he is sixteen. We have said that he can see her in group activities like skating which is popular here however, at least one of us need to be present. Good thing I like to skate... We have also encouraged him to invite her to his youth group activities. He has expressed enthusiasm with both suggestions so, now it's wait and see.

We are fortunate that our oldest has managed to handle the attentions of boys well and with minimal involvement from us. She is a serious student on track to becoming a doctor and her "boyfriends" are equally interested in pursuing their education before entering into the serious dating scene. Thank God.

The youngest has recently needed to wear training bras and has attracted the attention of boys. Thanks be to God, again, because she shows uncommon wisdom for a girl her age and seems interested in following the pathways of her career mom and older sister. There is however, a part of her that likes the attention.

At any rate, I would ask your prayers for my children as well as all other teens and preteens as they reflect on and consider their social and dating practices. It seems to be a sad fact that no matter how well we try to insulate our children from these social pressures, they still seep in and level their impact. May the young people and their parents seek God's guidance and wisdom in these matters, lest they end up in situations that they are not prepared to handle.

Pax Christi,

Rich
HippieMike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Rich, you have some wonderful morals it sounds like.

I will be joining you in prayer. I would think that more knowledge is required of this girl and her family. Just my opinion.

God bless you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Prayer Requests All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: