Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it imporant to know how to spell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Is it imporant to know how to spell? Reply with quote

I received this in an e-mail the other day. I was amazed I could read it. See if you can read it.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Razz
RB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Spelling Counts Reply with quote

Variations of this text have been circulating via mail, FAX, and e-mail for years. I first came across the message in college in a SPED410 class - special education. It was presented as an example of how a dyslexic person sees the written word. Sometimes it is presented as an example of how someone with a learning disability sees the written word. It is also an example of the quality of writing that was placed on my desk when I was teaching. Yes, spelling counts. "It doesn't matter how it is spelled as long as I get my point across," (one of the excuses I frequently heard) simply isn't good enough.
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Spelling Counts Reply with quote

RB wrote:
Variations of this text have been circulating via mail, FAX, and e-mail for years. I first came across the message in college in a SPED410 class - special education. It was presented as an example of how a dyslexic person sees the written word. Sometimes it is presented as an example of how someone with a learning disability sees the written word. It is also an example of the quality of writing that was placed on my desk when I was teaching. Yes, spelling counts. "It doesn't matter how it is spelled as long as I get my point across," (one of the excuses I frequently heard) simply isn't good enough.

Hi RB,

I completely agree. The primary reason that we undertook homeschooling our children was because our son is dyslexic. He has made remarkable progress but still continues to struggle. He must be able to write well if he's going to be able to reach the goals he has set for himself. We're confident that the reason he is this successful is because he has had the benefit of so much one on one attention coupled with curriculum geared for students with such learning needs. He would have never gotten this in a conventional learning environment. Thanks for writing

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: