Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RE; HOMESCHOOLING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Where Are You Located
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JHDOURA69@AOL.COM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: RE; HOMESCHOOLING Reply with quote

HELLO, MY NAME IS REV. RODRIGUEZ AND I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD BOY THAT I RECENTLY HAD TO PULL OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL BECAUSE HE WAS A VICTIM OF CONSTANT BULLYING. THE SCHOOL CHOSE TO DO NOTHING, SO I TOOK HIM OUT. UNFORTUNATELY, HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I GO ABOUT FINDING HIM OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES WHERE HE CAN SOCIALIZE WITH OTHER KIDS? ALSO, THE BOARD OF ED TOLD ME HE COULDN'T BE IN THE WRESTLING TEAM ANYLONGER BECAUSE HE WAS NO LONGER IN THE SCHOOL.
ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME I'D GREATLY APPRECIATED IT. Crying or Very sad
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: RE; HOMESCHOOLING Reply with quote

JHDOURA69@AOL.COM wrote:
HELLO, MY NAME IS REV. RODRIGUEZ AND I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD BOY THAT I RECENTLY HAD TO PULL OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL BECAUSE HE WAS A VICTIM OF CONSTANT BULLYING. THE SCHOOL CHOSE TO DO NOTHING, SO I TOOK HIM OUT. UNFORTUNATELY, HE DOESN'T HAVE ANY OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I GO ABOUT FINDING HIM OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES WHERE HE CAN SOCIALIZE WITH OTHER KIDS? ALSO, THE BOARD OF ED TOLD ME HE COULDN'T BE IN THE WRESTLING TEAM ANYLONGER BECAUSE HE WAS NO LONGER IN THE SCHOOL.
ANYONE THAT CAN HELP ME I'D GREATLY APPRECIATED IT. Crying or Very sad

Dear Rev. Rodriguez,

I'm sorry to hear about the painful situation that you and your son have come from. I wish I could say that I am shocked but sadly, you describe what could be called a common situation now, couldn't it? Now let me offer you a heartfelt welcome to the homeschooling community. We are a group of parents who for a variety of reasons, school their kids at home. This is a movement which has really accelerated over the last few years so it shouldn't be hard to find others right around you. Try asking around church communities, public library, Barns and Noble (one of our homeschooling support groups meets at the coffee shop in our local Barns and Noble), and finally do a Google search for homeschooling support groups in your area. Believe it or not, your state board of education may have a link to homeschooling on it's website. Ours does. Given your immediate need to try to keep your son on the wrestling team, let me recommend that you contact the HSLDA- Homeschool Legal Defense Association immediately. You can see other references and URL info. elsewhere on this website. If it is possible to keep your son involved, the HSLDA will help you make it happen. However, considering the reasons that you pulled your son out of public school and now add the additional stigma of being homeschooled, do you or does he still want to participate? With some creative seeking, you may find other athletic activities for him to try or even wrestling on another team. This will be a growth experience in many more ways than academic for him. Finally, let me assure you that after a period of adjustment, your son will learn to love being homeschooled. For now, you both must just be relieved that the bullying from everyone isn't an everyday occurrance. Best wishes for your journey.

Rich
bartii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REV. RODRIGUEZ,

What state and town do you live in. I may be able to help you out if you give me that information.

You said, "THE BOARD OF ED TOLD ME HE COULDN'T BE IN THE WRESTLING TEAM ANYLONGER BECAUSE HE WAS NO LONGER IN THE SCHOOL. "

First you have to realize that the public school hates it when children are pulled from the schools. They lose federal dollars. Second, since they are going to lose federal dollars they are going to make it as hard on the parents as possible.

In the state of Idaho, because we pay our local school taxes, our kids are allowed to do school sports. There are many public school principals and superintendents who don' t like this and try to make it hard on the kids. Usually, the kids get to compete.

One thing about HSLDA is that they can help you with what is going on, but to get the full benefits of HSLDA you will need to become a member.

HSLDA does help those who are tradional, unschoolers, and classical educators. If someone wants to use the curriculum given to them by the government they don't usually step in and help. I have been a member for four years now. They have been helpful to me thus far. I would suggest talking to them and finding out what the rules are for your state.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Where Are You Located All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: