Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goals & Objectives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Starting a Homeschool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Goals & Objectives Reply with quote

Does anyone else write out goals & objectives for the year? If so, how do you come up with them? Is it simply "to finish the curriculum for the year" or do you have more substantial and specific objectives?

Some of the things I've seen are like: "Increase knowledge of mathematics" or "Work through XYZ workbook".

Don't get me wrong, these may work for others. But I tend to be much more specific than this. So, I'm in the process of figuring them out for this year. Last year was just kindergarten, so it was pretty easy. But I'm trying to figure them out for this year.

Anyone out their willing to post your process or your objectives?

Thanks.
statdad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think written goals and objectives are a nice idea, although we have yet to do anything that formal. This year we have a 4th grader and kindergartner, so I think more in terms of goals and objectives for the day, or week, rather than the year. Smile
"We should learn from the mistakes of others, because we don?t have time to make all of those mistakes ourselves."
bartii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to gear my goals and objectives towards the weaknesses of my sons.

For an example: My youngest, who is nine years old, is absolutely terrible at spelling. This year I will spend more time on words that he doesn't know and reviewing them weekly instead of once a week.

I don't set a specific itinerary of goals and objectives.
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Goals and objectives Reply with quote

I have always used a curriculum which had an accompanying teacher's manual. I may not have had the child complete the entire text or every exercise in the lesson but I did like having the guide. Something else that I have been in the practice of doing is keeping a daily log of what each of my three kids completed in each subject. That included extracurriculur activities and field trips. During the years when I would use different curriculum sources for various subjects, this helped me to track when to add, modify or change the schedule because unless you use a integrated curriculum, the subjects don't run for the same duration or don't dovetail into each other. Back when we started, I used a terrific book- can't remember the title now- but it gave a detailed description of what academic skills a student could be expected to master at each grade level. The book broke down the skills by subject and even "sub"subject for example, within the subject of language, composition is separated from parts of speech. I used this at the end of each year as a measuring stick and found it helpful when planning the goals for the following year.

Currently, I still use the same curriculum sources, ABeka, Apologia, and Beautiful Feet, for the subjects that I teach at home but have decided for a variety of reasons, to "outsource" some subjects. We started working with a great organization of homeschoolers who have hired a number of excellent tutors. Subjects like public speaking, literature, history, art and drama have been included. Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Starting a Homeschool All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: