Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Happy fall!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Happy fall! Reply with quote

Good afternoon gents,

How are your school sessions going so far? The postings have been surprisingly sparse and I find myself missing our exchanges.

As for what we're up to, I seem to be spending more time on the road shuttling kids to lessons and activities outside of the home this year. We still so some daily lessons home but it's not full time anymore. Some would question whether we've given in or given up because of not homeschooling full time but I definitely see the benefits of what we're doing. Our oldest is working a lot this year and putting much of her income into savings for college. She's been visiting a few schools already and has narrowed her application list down quite a bit. The middle one is struggling with highschool this year and getting organized- a real daily battle but I see progress. The youngest is doing well in middle school and is really enjoying the group class environment that she's getting one day per week. Add scouting, music , basketball, horseback riding and martial arts to the mix and you have our schedule.

Take care,

Rich
RB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boards have been so quiet I have stopped checking them.

We have been busy. Classes take up a good portion of the day. The four year old has an activity each day of the week. I am teaching a writing workshop two days per week. I still work weekends at the airport.

At home we are making headway on clearing debt, cleaning out old junk, and making room in the house.

Our little girl is happy, healthy, running amok and loving every minute of it.

Life is good.
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Activity at last! Reply with quote

Boy, it sure took awhile for the writing to start but maybe I'm prematurely enthusiastic... Only kidding. I know this homeschooling is busy work but it only takes a minute to drop a line. After all, we are here to support each other.

RB, it was really good to read your post. It sounds like your miracle baby is really showing her stuff. I bet the rest of you have to work hard to keep up with her now. I remember all you've been through so your last line "Life is good" truly has deep meaning.

Cheers,

Rich
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,
Well I'm no longer the homeschool dad. Our travels have ended for now and we're back in Orlando. My wife is staying home now and doing the schooling. I'm selling cars at a Chevy dealer and working 60-65 hours a week.

If any of you have some web experience and would like to update this site with articles and info, please PM me. If it can be updated on a regular basis that should help it get higher in the search engines and increase the traffic and participation once again.

Mark
Seawind

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: I'm Back Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Been a while since I have stopped in.
But today I have mulled around. Sure looks dead the last 6 months as far as communication goes.

Well we finished fishing for the season. The boat is landed and I'm back helping out at HSing again. We did manage to squeeze in some Sea Kayaking this year. 3 days after Lobster season - as soon as I got the gear taken care of - All 5 of us (And the dog and My mother-in-law) paddled out to a sand dune island and camped there for a week. We had 15 miles of nice sand beach all to ourselves. (Found a huge whale bone by the way - that was very cool) Anyway, I managed to paddle about 400 miles in the kayak this summer in late evenings, Storm days Etc. Not sure how I worked that in. But it was nice.
HS goes well this fall. Glad my oldest son works independently. He is teaching himself Chemistry & Advance math. He is beyond what I can do for him. Apologia is great that way for science. And Saxon Math seems to work out well
for us. Anyway, just have to get the two older boys on some research this fall. I have been neglecting that to date. Since we landed the boat I still had to prepare for a 3 days of teaching at a missions conference and a province wide Men's conference we hosted here as well.
So I still really have not gotten into the flow of what is happening here yet.
Andy
Must run
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm Back Reply with quote

Seawind wrote:
Hi Guys
Been a while since I have stopped in.
But today I have mulled around. Sure looks dead the last 6 months as far as communication goes.

Well we finished fishing for the season. The boat is landed and I'm back helping out at HSing again. We did manage to squeeze in some Sea Kayaking this year. 3 days after Lobster season - as soon as I got the gear taken care of - All 5 of us (And the dog and My mother-in-law) paddled out to a sand dune island and camped there for a week. We had 15 miles of nice sand beach all to ourselves. (Found a huge whale bone by the way - that was very cool) Anyway, I managed to paddle about 400 miles in the kayak this summer in late evenings, Storm days Etc. Not sure how I worked that in. But it was nice.
HS goes well this fall. Glad my oldest son works independently. He is teaching himself Chemistry & Advance math. He is beyond what I can do for him. Apologia is great that way for science. And Saxon Math seems to work out well
for us. Anyway, just have to get the two older boys on some research this fall. I have been neglecting that to date. Since we landed the boat I still had to prepare for a 3 days of teaching at a missions conference and a province wide Men's conference we hosted here as well.
So I still really have not gotten into the flow of what is happening here yet.
Andy
Must run

Hi Andy,

It was good to hear from you again. You're a busy guy- and to fit four hundred miles in a sea kayak in too- wow! That's something that I would love to do but have never done. We were up in your neck of the woods early this fall on a camping trip. Our endpoint was PEI. We stayed at the KOA in Cavendish and got around a little but only had two days. No picture does justice to the beauty of the island. We plan to return sometime in the future when we can spend more time. Hope your conference went well and that your school year goes well too.

Rich

P.S. I really like Saxon and Apologia too- been using both for a few years now. Have you seen Beautiful Feet? ( no joke, really) It's a great lit. based curriculum source that I've used for History and even Clasical music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: