Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Public School!! -- NO WAY!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB wrote:
"You all have agreed directly as well as indirectly because you all educate your kids at home. "

You are making an invalid assumption that the reason we are home schooling is because we believe that the public school system is inadequate. That may or may not be a component in the decision to home school, as there are multiple factors involved in the choice. The Lansing, Kansas, school system is a good system. That we choose not to use it is not a condemnation of public schools in general, or of our local district in particular.

"The reasons published for this success were dedicated parents, dedicated students and dedicated teachers. I think that all three components are necessary for any successful school, don't you?"

I would argue that there is a far better chance that good parenting can make-up for the shortfalls of a poor teacher than a good teacher can make-up for the shortfalls of poor parenting.

Please allow me to retract my invalid assumption. How could I know what motivates a family to undertake the time and financial committment to home educate when there are perfectly fine, tax supported schools available. I have no doubt that there are many excellent public schools out there and would say the same is possible about private schools. Conversely, I have no doubt that there are inadequate homeschooling situations out there as well. For the record, I didn't think that my oversimplified statement regarding the threeway partnership between parents, teachers and students was the magic answer to all educating woes and certainly didn't mean to suggest that teachers could make up for parenting shortfalls. The two are not interchangeable, even I know that. My years of association with our regional Children's Leadership Councils, America's Promise, Our Future By Design, a state sponsored initiative for community resource restructuring, DARE, and Juvenile Delinquency Prevention Board have shed enough light for me to see that the situation is complex.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I know of a mother who has talked of homeschooling for years, yet shecouldnt pull the trigger and do it. She spent time at conferences, collecting info, etc.

She is now putting her seven year old into kindergarten with her five year old. Some would view this as a disservice to the older child.
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guest wrote:
Rich,

I know of a mother who has talked of homeschooling for years, yet shecouldnt pull the trigger and do it. She spent time at conferences, collecting info, etc.

She is now putting her seven year old into kindergarten with her five year old. Some would view this as a disservice to the older child.

Hi guest,

I'm having a hard time not feeling the same way. If this mother felt that her only option was public school, why not place the older child in an age appropriate grade, say second grade? What has (s)he been doing for school during the last two yeasrs? A "normally developing" seven year old would feel and be, out of place in kindergarten especially when enrolled with a five year old sibling. I believe the message would be anything but positive. Development is rapid at this age and two years makes a world of difference. Let's hope for the best.

Rich
RB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: A Talented Teacher Will Notice Reply with quote

A sharp teacher will recognize the need to advance the seven year old and get the child in an age appropriate setting. Let's hope that the child's academic skills are up to snuff.
RB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: A Good Article to Read Reply with quote

How to Raise an A+ Student
Three very different families reveal their secrets to success.
BY WILLIAM BEAMAN

“Dozens of studies have shown that the most consistent indicators of student achievement -- more than income or social status -- are the home environment and parental involvement.”

Check out

http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Erd%2Ecom%2Fcontent%2FopenContent%2Edo%3FcontentId%3D28659%26pageIndex%3D0

to read more.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A Good Article to Read Reply with quote

RB wrote:
How to Raise an A+ Student
Three very different families reveal their secrets to success.
BY WILLIAM BEAMAN

“Dozens of studies have shown that the most consistent indicators of student achievement -- more than income or social status -- are the home environment and parental involvement.”

Check out

http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Erd%2Ecom%2Fcontent%2FopenContent%2Edo%3FcontentId%3D28659%26pageIndex%3D0

to read more.

I find the HSLDA a great resource for not only legal support if needed , but just plain encouragement. Thanks for posting this.

Rich
HippieMike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read through all of your posts in this thread yet. But I do want to thank you for starting it.

The public school that my children were in got a new principle last year, and I am sure he is a good guy. I spoke to him on numerous occasions but the first thing that set me off about him is that he wouldn't pray before meetings. This is something that the old (and very cherished) principle did everytime. So I asked him about it.

He said it was against the law to pray at school. Well, that was one of the first things that convinced us to do some serious prayer about homeschooling and from that point on, the Lord just gave us more and more answers to the prayers that we needed to have the children learn at home.

God gave us these blessings and it says in the bible that we are to train up a child in the ways that he should go. It doesn't say to ship them off to some where else.
RB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home schooling was our choice both because of the poor quality of the public schools in our old neighborhood when we lived in St. Joseph, Missouri, and because of General Mayhem's needs. The boy simply isn't wired for sitting in a desk all day. We tried a parochial school for two years. Ultimately, we could not afford it. But when the principal told our son that he should take medication to assist in his self-control, we decided that a new school - our home school - was the best option for our child.

Major Havoc is just the opposite. He thrives in a classroom setting. I wouldn't dream of keeping him home all day. It just isn't in his best interests. Since we moved to a town with a very good local public school, we are going to try it...as long as they teach phonics!
bartii

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every child, parent(s), and family is made differently. We have to decide what is best for our children, let them know what is best, and why we think it is best and proceed from there.

A child may want to be at one school or be homeschooled but the parent says that the school they are at is either good or bad and that it is best to be at the school that a parent decides. It is our responsibility to decide what is best not the child's decision. They can voice their opinion, we can listen, but ultimately we have to decide what is best for their future.

It is also with homeschooling. A parent has to decide what is the best curriculum for their child and their child's needs. Just because a child wants a certain curriculum because it is easier doesn't make it the best choice for them.

Maybe homeschooling is best for a child then you have decided if you are going to use an internet based, traditional(which I prefer), or classical. Are you going to be part of a homeschool co-op or not.

There are many decisions we, as parents, must make. When we make those decisions we should tell our children why we are making these decisions, and not just, "It is what I have decided." Have concrete explanations. Help the child to understand. They may or may not agree. They may throw a humongous fit, but you know that you have made a wise decision and hopefully someday they will learn that you really did what was best for them. If you make a mistake always admit it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: