Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pre history and the history of man

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: pre history and the history of man Reply with quote

I teach my child recorded human history, and a history of life on the planet which also includes pre history of modern humanity.

My son is enthusiastic about both although he loves the discussion of pre cambrian life forms, and the explosion of phyla that resulted in the Cambrian. He also loves the geography that is tied to different human civilizations on the planet. Although he kknows the planets, and a little about the universe, I have decided the history of the cosmos is something we can deal with later. I think I have my hands full with just the nearly 4 billion yrs of life here on earth that I must explain to him.(in very sweeping general terms of course)
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: pre history and the history of man Reply with quote

guest wrote:
I teach my child recorded human history, and a history of life on the planet which also includes pre history of modern humanity.

My son is enthusiastic about both although he loves the discussion of pre cambrian life forms, and the explosion of phyla that resulted in the Cambrian. He also loves the geography that is tied to different human civilizations on the planet. Although he kknows the planets, and a little about the universe, I have decided the history of the cosmos is something we can deal with later. I think I have my hands full with just the nearly 4 billion yrs of life here on earth that I must explain to him.(in very sweeping general terms of course)

Dear guest,

You seem to be an expert in the origins of early man. Perhaps you can clarify something for me. Have you seen the Usborne internet linked encyclopedias? Many homeschoolers I know from our Christian homeschooling co-op have used these books extensively and although they seem to be very comprehensive, an expert might prove their veracity. Perhaps you can shed some light on the subject for me. If you can get your hands on one of these books and check it out, I would appreciate it if you would let me know your opinion. Early on when teaching the subject of human history, I used their Encyclopedia of History because it was designed for younger kids. The book uses a timeline format and is packed with colorful photos which are very appealing to younger kids. If you find the book to be accurate, you might use it for you own child. At least, let me know your thoughts. Throughout the chapters, it features internet links which are very kid friendly. If you decide that the history book is adequate, Usborne has like books for Geography and Science. Maybe if you'r einterested, you can find a local dealer and purchase the set with a discount. This is what I did and I saved about fifty dollars. My kids have loved them and because the books encourage further study, they have taken it upon themselves to do their own research. I have heard similar stories in the co-op. I look foreward to your reply.

Rich

P.S. Have we corresponded before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: