Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dissection Anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Dissection Anyone? Reply with quote

My soon to be 7 year old daughter is interested in dissecting a worm this summer. I haven't done any dissecting since 11th grade. Anyone done it hs'ing? What was your experience like? How old were your kids? Any suggestions, comments, ideas?

Thanks!
Godspeed,
Ed
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops! She wants to dissect a frog, not a worm.
Rich

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dissection Anyone? Reply with quote

edtheredhead wrote:
My soon to be 7 year old daughter is interested in dissecting a worm this summer. I haven't done any dissecting since 11th grade. Anyone done it hs'ing? What was your experience like? How old were your kids? Any suggestions, comments, ideas?

Thanks!
Godspeed,
Ed

Hi Ed,

If you think you would be doing more dissecting in the future, getting a dissecting kit from a place like Discovery Store might prove useful. They cost less than $20 and have the essential instruments including microsope slides. Otherwise, a razorblade, bamboo barbecue skewer and fine point scissors will work. The skewer makes a good probe. Before you actually do the dissection, get a book on the animal kingdom which will go into the taxonomy a little bit and have drawings or photographs of the animals and their body parts. Eyewitness and Usborne are two great sources for this and both are geared for your daughter's agegroup. When you're ready, dissection is done layer by layer until all parts are identified. You might use a large piece pf parchment paper to put everything out on to. The white paper is good for clarity and absorbant to keep thing a bit neater. Good luck

Rich
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich, I'll look into those. I'm sure that we'll do more dissection in the future. My wife is a doctor who spent a year doing pathology, so I figured my daughter's interest is genetic! Smile
Rich

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edtheredhead wrote:
Thanks Rich, I'll look into those. I'm sure that we'll do more dissection in the future. My wife is a doctor who spent a year doing pathology, so I figured my daughter's interest is genetic! Smile

Hi again,

I bet you're right about the genes. My daughter is pretty sure she wants to go to medical school. We'll see in a few years. Take care,

Rich
RB

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Dissection Reply with quote

Hello,

Jane and I have been conducting an on-going dissection class with my oldest son and her three boys. Their ages range from 7 to 10. Jane purchased a kit with all of our dissection equipment, a manual for dissection, and ten specimens for dissection and asked me to lead the actual cutting. We supplement the material with information found on-line. There are fantastic websites with loads of information and full color photographs of all the animals that we explore. We explore one animal every two or three weeks. It has been fascinating. I am not certain who is enjoying it more, Jane, the boys, or me. My wife and her husband sit in the other room an talk about the army.

After dissecting a worm, a crawfish (that was the most interesting to date), a perch, and a grasshopper, we have moved into bigger critters. I let the oldest boy carefully (with close supervision!) cut into the frog. We take out parts, pass them around, look at and feel them, and discuss what each thing does for the animal being dissected. The more hands-on work the boys do the more intersting they find the exercise, but they do not have the dexterity or control to do the fine work needed to cut into the smaller creatures. The larger animals, such as the frog and pig, are better for their explorations. Either way, scissors are better for dissection than razors. Scissors allow the explorer to make shallow snips, lift the skin, and cut without damaging the organs underneath. It is very easy to inadvertently cut too deeply with a razor and damage the area underneath the skin, especially with the smaller creatures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: