Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm New

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seawind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: I'm New Reply with quote

Hey Guys.
Another guy told me about this site for Dads. Nice to see it.
As on the other site the Women ratio is a bit intimidating for me. To be very frank - I Like to talk about HSing, but don't feel comfortable chatting with so many women. It's just em I guess.
Anyway, I am the Teacher from Feb -April every year. As I
work in the Home office and get my fishing gear ready for the water in the spring.
In the fall we split the load between us. But For 6 months I fish and my two older boys fish with me. for about 3 months of the year. But I am very involved.

We HS the boys while working in West Africa. But when we moved back to Canada they went to Public School. But we took them all home again 1.5 yrs ago. After 2 years of trying to Convince my wife to do so. But we came to an understanding after I clarified that this was our decision to Home school. WE will HS the kids together. And she was 100% ready then. And it has been a life saver for us all.

I get more time with my kids. And they get to work with me more, And still get a great education.

Anyway, wanted to say hello to you all. I understand that this is not very active. But I will stop in and give it a try.
We use Sonlight Materials for the most part.

Andy
In Prince Edward Island, Canada.
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
Welcome to the HomeSchoolDads Forum. In starting this forum a few years ago, it was my intention to create a place for homeschooling dads to come together without feeling "out of place" among the moms.

These boards do tend to slow down a bit in the spring, but get busy again in the fall and early winter. Even I haven't been very active this year due to our "roadschooling adventure" (see link below).

Anyway, I just wanted to return the welcome and hope you'll feel at home here.

Mark
Seawind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Mark
Nice to meet you. I fully understand that it might not be to chatty here. I think that would kind of be the nature of a mens HS site.
But just knowing we have a place to ask questions and get feed back when we need it is such a blessing.
Men see things different than women (Surprise eh!)
and they have great advice and insight. But sometimes they just don't understand what you as a man are asking.
Anyway, Thanks for the site - I will check it once each week.
Andy
bartii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Welcome to the site. Do you fish for a hobby or is it your job?

I hope we can be helpful and encouraging with your adventure in homeschooling. I love to learn from other dads. Being in a field trip group and P.E. group that is full of women I just don't fit in. I am used for the things they don't want to do. I crave for input from homeschool dads, not that I can't learn from the women but like you said, "Men see things different than women."
Seawind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Hi Bartii Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you. I was having a good chuckle over your description of how you fit in with the all women PE and other HS groups you attend with the kids. I bet they say; "We need a man to do this"- Am I right? Your experience about sums it up for most of us, I'm sure. We have very few HS families here in the area anyway, and my kids are the oldest of the bunch. So there are no meetings in our area, that we know of. Even if there were, I could never convince myself to go. And Lynn would not either just because we have the only older kids.

I fish full time 6 months of the year. The rest of the year the fish move off shore and the ocean freezes over in the gulf. I am also a part time pastor all year round. So For 6 months of the year I am very strapped working 7 days a week and long hours. But the two older boys are out with me a lot for about 3 months of that time. When I get home I still do dialogue and correct things.
As you saw in my note above - Feb to April I am the person responsible. My Wife drives an hour to work each way, and it just does her in every day. I work on my studies in the home office so can keep the kids moving. And Our Workshop where we repair and build new gear is just across the road. So I can be in and out as needed. Anyway, it does work out well as I can be flexible, as long as my work is done. My Kids are older, the older boy just does his work with no pushing is ever necessary. The Second son is about the same, but when I get home to check on them, he does need a reminder some times to get at it. So I just don't need to sit at home pushing those boys all day. When I do get home I check things over ask them questions etc and get dialogue going. I do that 2-3 times a day. The Younger boy well I have to call on the phone and ask what he is doing, and He will shift to the next activity as I ask. Except Math - I need to be home with him on that as he will avoid it forever. But he is in grade 6 and dong Saxon 8/7 with pre algebra math. So there is no rush with him anyway.
Well must run. We were hauling and tying on lobster traps yesterday - the boys as well as it is march break here this week. Today is snowing so we will just wait for a nicer day to do more of the wharf work - Good office day:-)
Andy
bartii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bet they say; "We need a man to do this"- Am I right?

That is about it. If I decide not to do something I am made to feel guilty, but the other moms don't do anything it is ok. What is up with that?

It isn't too bad overall, but it can be frustrating.

I hope you get a lot of lobster. I had fish or anything that comes out of water, but my dad loves a good lobster.
RB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the dad's site, Seawind!

What is "arby" on the other site is simply "rb" here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: