Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Walker Texas Ranger?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Walker Texas Ranger?! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

What do you have to say about a "hero worship" program that features "ass kicking" activities for the benefit of all while speaking about faith in God at the same time? Can both ideas coexist? Can Walker and his mighty Texas warriors save the day each and every time? My son is currently fixated on this program and although he clearly realizes the difference between reality and fantasy here, when asked, he makes statements about how the "nonhero" adults on the periphery behave. It sheds light on that area where most of us live; potentially being in a situation of observing a crime and reporting it. We have many lively discussions as a result of this and other programs. What sort of experiences are you all involved in?

Last edited by Rich on Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school(Christian high school) I had a coach that said, "Knock them down to the ground tell'em that Jesus loves you, help them up, and knock them down again."

His point was football isn't about being a nice gentle player. You can play rough and have no fouls.

Ranger Texas Walker was always using his karate or Tae Kwon Doe to defend someone, or himself.

Can the two exist? Yes. Look at Jesus, he went into the temple and knock down tables and kicked out the money exchangers. What they were doing was an insult to the temple and to God.

Now if someone was beating up someone just because, they really can't show the love of God.
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartii wrote:
When I was in high school(Christian high school) I had a coach that said, "Knock them down to the ground tell'em that Jesus loves you, help them up, and knock them down again."

His point was football isn't about being a nice gentle player. You can play rough and have no fouls.

Ranger Texas Walker was always using his karate or Tae Kwon Doe to defend someone, or himself.

Can the two exist? Yes. Look at Jesus, he went into the temple and knock down tables and kicked out the money exchangers. What they were doing was an insult to the temple and to God.

Now if someone was beating up someone just because, they really can't show the love of God.

Hi Barti,

You make good points about being strong in the name of God. I guess my real concern is not so much the force that the strong hero uses while protecting and rescuing, it is the depiction in this and other similar programs that such force is always needed to win, even for God. Yes, Jesus did overturn the tables and throw out the money changers but it was a unique incident. The bulk of his teaching was on the subject of peace and reconciliation.

What prompted me to initiate this thread is concern for increased media coverage of the seeming increase of violent acts being committed by young men. These acts are brutal and seem to occur with little or no provocation. The solution to all problems seems to be to beat the opponent into submission- or coma, whichever comes first.

I am by no means a pacifist but I really believe that wise, smooth talking heroes deserve more attention even if they aren't exciting enough to make the Friday evening, primetime line-up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: