Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Government Land grabbing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Government Land grabbing Reply with quote

Idaho Senator Larry Craig has said that the Supreme Court was wrong when it voted on a lawsuit that said that the government had the right to take land from a land owner.

http://craig.senate.gov/

What an upheaval this has been. I must admit that I am troubled by this. Makes you wonder why our Supreme Court is going against what the founding fathers wanted.

On one hand we pay taxes on our property, so in a since it isn't really our land. If we quit paying our taxes they will confiscate it.

I am trying to decide what would be a good lesson I could teach my boys about the Supreme Court decision and what the U.S. Constitution says. Are there any ideas from all of you? Have any of you discussed this with your children? I have a very tiny bit, but I know I could do better.

bwb
Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Idaho Reply with quote

Hi Bart,

I share your concerns for how to teach your kids lessons about things like legal interpretation, foreign affairs, going to war, etc. Wouldn't you love to say that it's more difficult now than it was 200 years ago? It probably isn't though, right? Those "founding fathers" were renegades in their time and made decisions without precedent. The thing that I find most helpful here is to do what they did. Pray for insight. Take your kids and do it together. This sends the powerful message to them that God has the answers and we need to ask Him for guidance. Then spend some time afterward reflecting on the issue(s) you're facing. He has a way of opening dialogue for teaching important things like moral and ethical issues. Take care,

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Many of our greatest founding fathers prayed little....Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, and Paine. These men were secularists for the most part. Deists at best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Rich,

Many of our greatest founding fathers prayed little....Jefferson, Adams, Franklin, and Paine. These men were secularists for the most part. Deists at best.

Thanks for the information but, I don't want to make this a competition or a history lesson. My entry above with it's reference to founding fathers who prayed, was more to give encouragement to someone who was wrestling with difficult concepts to teach. As a point of clarification however, I certainly don't think that all of our founding fathers were practicing Christians. Additionally, I don't believe that all people who sat (or sit) in the pews were Christians, nor do I believe that all people who don't sit in pews lack faith. I believe that many prayed (or pray) for guidance and never went to church. Benjamin Franklin was likely one of the wisest men who helped shape our country and also one of faith, despite infrequent church attendance. Other men of faith: George Washington, Patrick Henry, John Jay and Abraham Lincoln.
bartii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William Bradford and many of the first hundred who came to America. America's first laws were based upon the ten commandments. The first laws based on the Ten Commandments is known as the Mayflower Compact.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our concerns here are about govt land grabbing. This is a topic that has indirectly affected me over the years.
the govt not only has a history of grabbing private property, but also one of giving it away to large corporations. An example would be our national forests and the relentless clear cutting by large forestry companies such as Georgia Pacific and others. They pay pennies on the dollar for those cutting rights, and it alows them to bypass private landholders like myself.....where they would have to pay market prices for the timber. Thus, in the end, my timber value declines because large entities have the ability to steal it from publicly owned land...with the consent of the USDA. I have little faith that this will change anytime soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: