Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minneapolis, MN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Where Are You Located
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HuaJiaShuYuan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Minneapolis, MN Reply with quote

We live in the western suburbs and haven't actually begun the homeschool process. Our daughters are only 2 and 3-1/2 years old. But we're preparing ourselves for the adventure. The first thing I did was attend the Minnesota Association of Christian Home Educators (MACHE) annual conference. It was great! We plan on attending every conference from here on out. The next one will be held at River Center in Saint Paul. Go to http://www.mache.org for more information.

We will also join the Home School Legal Defense Association http://www.hslda.org when we enter the zone where we have to file reports with the state.

Then, we also plan to join the Glory to Him Co-op, which is loosely associated with Living Word Christian Center and its K-12 school, Maranatha Christian Academy. This gives us access to classrooms twice a week and to the gymnasium.
MetroIceberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there's also a topic for greater Minnesota here, so I'll post here as well. I live in South St Paul, and have a 5 yr old daughter, and a 2 yr old son. My daughter just started homeschooling in earnest yesterday! I'm so excited for my family about this!

Once again the Spirit is moving out over the waters,
I raise my hands to the sky and fall, You will catch me!
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hua,

I hope you reveiwed some of the literature from MACHE. What little I have seen from them compelled me to stay away.
They seem more interested in indocrinating than being an advocacy group for home schoolers.
bartii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basilosaurus,

Welcome to homeschooldads. I hope you enjoy it here. You were stating that MACHE seems to be more interested in indoctrinating then helping homeschoolers.

I belong to ICHE(Idaho Coalition(christian) of Homeschool Education. It is a Christian organization that does preach the gospel, but they also have a lawyer that fights for our freedom to homeschool while our state representatives are in session. They also get some counsel from HSLDA.

ICHE also sponsors an event which there are speakers that come in to help homeschool parents and many different venders. Also, they help set up for legislature days where parents make pies for the legislatures and the kids who apply can show some of the activities or projects they have done. Also, they are the ones who set up testing for those who want to test their children through IOWA testing(Standard testing).

I was wondering if you knew if they are involved with your legislatures in fighting for your feedom to homeschool? If they are then it may be be a good idea to be somewhat involved with them.
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: MACHE Reply with quote

Barti,

Personally, I find much of the MACHE literature to be quite insulting to virtual academies and public schools. MACHE accuses both of being agents of indoctrination. I would think such an organization should take a good long look in the mirror.
bartii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basilosaurus,

I understand now. MACHE is for homeschoolers such as traditionalists, classical, and unschoolers. They are not there for those who use government funded virtual schools or for those who are in a brick and mortar school system.

The government ran virtual schools and public schools indoctrinate by telling people that Evolution is the only science that is correct. Or, sex is ok if you use a condom and so forth. The government ran institutions won't give history in full truth. So, basically, they are indoctrinating the kids.

I went to MACHE and they are a religious group who will help homeschoolers, as I understand it. They are a relgious group that states what they believe. It looks like they do help produce many functions to help homeschoolers who have pulled away from the government institution.

I didn't see where they required you to go to classes, but I did see where they send out important information. They may send out information about special activities. They may send out information on a bill that could limit or infringe upon the rights of traditional, unschoolers, or classical home schoolers. Government ran virtual academies don't need protection because they are protected by the government.

Yes, they are religious. But, they may have the means to help protect those home school choices. I know CHOIS and ICHE helped us stay updated.

Merry Christmas,

Bartii
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barti,

Public schools and virtual academies are govt funded........but they are maanaged and run locally. MACHE is an organization that supports the indocrination of children into religious faith. I look upon the religious indoctrination of children in very low esteem.

As far as evolutionary theory goes, there are, as you know, no serious alternatives to it, and furthermore it is established as fact and scientific principle within science today. Creationism and Intelligent Design have no foundation in science. They are assertions that cannot be falsified.....unsupported hypothesis without the backing of evidence to support it. Evolutionary biology is relied upon by countless scientific disciplines including medical science. The evidence is overwhelming. It is why I teach a comparative religion course to my son, which includes all of the world's creation myths.....that is outside of his regular virtual academy work.

In regard to use, the stats show that it should be taught alongside abstinence.

Happy Winter Solstice
bartii

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree with you on that. The belief in evolution is no more then a religion. Creationism and ID both have a place in science. All three of these are a religious belief.

All three of these have the exact same scientific facts the difference between these three is history. Evolution believes in billions and billions of years and the hypothesis that everything just happened.

Creation( I believe in young earth) that there was a Creator i.e. God.
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barti,

With all due respect, you are clearly confused about science and religion. Science, is not religion , nor is religion (including ID and creationism) science.

Science requires a method in finding truth and explaining the natural wold around us. Observation, hypothesis, fact gathering, theory building, testing the theory and repeatability are required....not to mention that such theory must be able to be falsified....all requirements in science.

Religion, ID, creationism are asserted claims of truth thru divinity....they cannot be scrutinized by the scientific method, nor do they have anything to do with science. Check the scientific peer reviewed publications since the times of Darwin over 140 yrs ago. You will find nothing on these topics. Such concepts are found nowhere in any university science department that has accreditation.

As to your claims of a young earth. It is a young 4.5 billion yrs old. The geological evidence supports this age, as does radiometric dating which is quite accurate, since as you very well know, radioactive decay rates for the elements are constants that do not vary.

I dont really care to pursue this debate further, however, keep in mind that silly claims about dinosaurs not having died out sixty million yrs ago......based on claims of creationist like Buddy Davis and Ken Ham will not go unchallenged in this forum, and it is on behalf of science that I will comment. Maybe we should get back to discussions about homeschooling.
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barti,

With all due respect, you are clearly confused about science and religion. Science, is not religion , nor is religion (including ID and creationism) science.

Science requires a method in finding truth and explaining the natural wold around us. Observation, hypothesis, fact gathering, theory building, testing the theory and repeatability are required....not to mention that such theory must be able to be falsified....all requirements in science.

Religion, ID, creationism are asserted claims of truth thru divinity....they cannot be scrutinized by the scientific method, nor do they have anything to do with science. Check the scientific peer reviewed publications since the times of Darwin over 140 yrs ago. You will find nothing on these topics. Such concepts are found nowhere in any university science department that has accreditation.

As to your claims of a young earth. It is a young 4.5 billion yrs old. The geological evidence supports this age, as does radiometric dating which is quite accurate, since as you very well know, radioactive decay rates for the elements are constants that do not vary.

I dont really care to pursue this debate further, however, keep in mind that silly claims about dinosaurs not having died out sixty million yrs ago......based on claims of creationist hacks like Buddy Davis and Ken Ham will not go unchallenged in this forum, and it is on behalf of science that I will comment. Maybe we should get back to discussions about homeschooling.
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not confused on religious belief and science. In fact, if you notice my quote, "The belief in evolution is no more then a religion. Creationism and ID both have a place in science. All three of these are a religious belief. "

"Science requires a method in finding truth and explaining the natural wold around us. Observation, hypothesis, fact gathering, theory building, testing the theory and repeatability are required....not to mention that such theory must be able to be falsified....all requirements in science. "

The religions Evolution, ID, and Creation have the same facts. The are all a belief system. All the belief systems have the same scientific facts, however the belief systems have different views of history.

The Earth is only 6,500 yrs. old at the most. Actually, the dinosaurs died out approximately 4,000 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir,

You are confused about evolutionary theory...it is pure science and is not to be believed in as a belief system, but to be viewed as what it is...scientificv theory supported by facts within nearly every scientific discipline on the planet. It can be falsified if, lets say, your divine entity came down and demonstrated it to be false. As unlikely as that might be.

As to the facts supporting evolutionary theory, that whole body of evidence supports evolutionary theory and evolutionary biuology as the principles of science that they have become.

Your arguments about evolution being religion are those of creationist hack Phillip Johnson..........they were dismembered decades ago by the scientific community.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest,

I noticed that you believe that you believe in Evolution as scientific. That is not even true. If the belief in Evolution is scientific then Creationism has to be scientific.

Bartii is correct in saying that IDism, Evolutionism, and Creationism are all beliefs. I like what Bartii said that all three are a belief. I don't know if I agree that they are religious beliefs, though. I will contemplate on that.

The only reason that Creation and ID are not allowed in schools is that it says that there has to be a higher power that created everything. If that is true then that makes Evolution false. Government has misunderstood the Constitution of the United States on Separation of Chruch in State.

There should be no reason, whatsoever, that Creation or ID shouldn't be taught in school. Evolution has many flaws. Evolution is changing all the time. Evolution is not consistent, yet it is being said that it is the only way. Evolution wasn't even taught until after Darwin came up with his hypothesis.

I believe that if the schools want to give the children an education you teach all of them. You give them an education. You then let them make up their mind.

Basilo is against teaching the facts on Creation or ID. He believes in teaching only Evolution as factual. All beliefs have the facts. I like how someone said that these beliefs have a different interpretation of history.

Science is science. Each belief takes science and molds their system around scientific facts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow guest,

You err in every paragraph....1. Evolution isnt to be believed in, it is to be either accepted or not acce3pted based on the overwhelming scientific evidence in support of it. 2. Again evolutionary theory isnt about belief, just like gravitational theory......it is or is not accepted. 3. Creation and ID are not allowed in schools because they have absolutely no foundation within science.....I would suggest a review of peer reviewed scintific literature on the topic.....Oh, and I would suggest a reading of the Dover PA decision on intelligent design.....you boys were trounced thanks to the incompetents at the Thomas Moore Law firm. $. Evolutionary theory is quite consistent and continues to make predictions, as it has successfully done in the past. Furthermore, although Newton discovered the universal law of gravitation. Einsteins theory of gravitation (dont confuse the two) was not taught until after Einstein, and is looked on with considerable confidence within science. %. Maybe it is time that children be allowed to m ake up their minds about the existence of a god without being railroaded into faith by their parents. ^. You are mistaken. Tere are no scientific facts in support of ID or creationism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Where Are You Located All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: