Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record Keeping et al

View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Record Keeping et al Reply with quote

I've got 2 years of school yet before we have to do anything for the state, but I'm "thinking ahead" and really want to start keeping records of what we do, etc. I've seen various commercial programs, but I'm pretty cheap and would rather do something by hand anyway.

So my question is this: what do you all use? Are you pretty diligent about it or just kind of "fake" it at the end?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks.
statdad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like record-keeping, and fortunately we aren't required by law to do much of it. We just have to keep a ?portfolio? to show examples of work done, and send in an annual assessment. Your state may require more recordkeeping, like how many hours you spent each day, or something like that.

If you have to keep time records, you could look online or at a local curriculum fair to find a teacher's planning book and fill in only what?s required by law. Depending on what?s required, a simple notepad might suffice, and be cheaper than a teacher?s planning book.

Our portfolio is just a big envelope into which goes all tangible evidence that education has taken place, for example: worksheets, anything written or colored, a list of books read, pictures from trips, outings or science projects, etc. I don?t try to make it particularly orderly or neat, stuff just goes in.
"We should learn from the mistakes of others, because we don?t have time to make all of those mistakes ourselves."
bartii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I am setting up records on Excel. I don't have to keep records but I want to keep them for myself. I do this to see if there is any improvement or not. It helps me out to know what subjects are in need of extra time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Legal Issues All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: