Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

really have much of a choice but to try and jam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Mr. Mom Syndrome
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elvafeng

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: really have much of a choice but to try and jam Reply with quote

Would the funk continue for the Blues after a frustrating scoreless effort Thursday against Philadelphia? Or would they return to what has been their norm this season — namely scoring goals and winning games?

Not even close. It turned out to be the latter Saturday night with a 6 4 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs before an energetic sellout crowd of 19,046 at Scottrade Center. Now 11 3 1, the Blues continued one of their best starts in franchise history and completed a four game homestand by winning three of the four.

After absorbing their first regular season shutout since Game 63 of last season in a 2 0 loss to the Flyers, coach Mike Yeo said there were things the team needed to work on offensively. Suffice it say the Blues worked on them and responded in a big way.

“For me it starts with the leadership, and we’ve got gamers,” Yeo said. “We’ve got guys that are competitive, and they’re winners. They’re not gonna allow excuses to be part of it, and that’s what good teams do. You bounce back.”

The Blues got three goals from their defensive corps, and a combined seven assists from Brayden Schenn and Jaden Schwartz. Vladimir Tarasenko had a goal and an assist Jay Bouwmeester Jersey, so all told the Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko line totaled one goal and eight assists. At times, that line was dazzling, particularly in a three goal second period.

“Every game I turn to Robert Bortuzzo or someone and I’m like these forwards are unbelievable,” defenseman Joel Edmundson said. “Something about them. Their patience their work ethic. Those three are fun to watch. I’m glad they’re on our side.”

• BLUES TALK Sound off about the 2017 18 season

• MORNING SKATE Daily Blues updates

• SCHEDULE/RESULTS 2017 18 Blues season

• STANDINGS 2017 18 NHL season

The six goals was a season high total for St. Louis but amounted to business as usual against a Toronto defense that entered the night ranked fifth in most goals allowed in the NHL. The Maple Leafs 8 7 have allowed three or more goals in 12 of 15 games.

With the Blues trailing 1 0 after the first period, Tarasenko ended their scoring drought early in the second when he tipped in a backhand of a Schwartz shot for his seventh goal of the season. Schenn also got an assist on the play, which tied the score at 1 1 at the 2 33 mark, but give defenseman Vince Dunn major credit for hustling to keep the https://www.slbluesfans.com/ivan-barbashev-jersey-c-32.html puck in the offensive zone.

It was the sixth straight game against Toronto that Tarasenko has scored a goal, and perked up the Blues and the big crowd at Scottrade.

“We didn’t score last game, may have been gripping the sticks a little bit,” Schwartz said. “We see that first one go in, maybe it calmed us down a little bit. Vlady did a great job of getting to the net and burying that one. It got the whole team rolling and I think got the rink energized as well.”

The Blues kept the pressure up for the next several minutes and got quick results. Next it was Edmundson poking in a rebound of a Schenn shot into a wide open left side of the net at the 7 10 mark for a 2 1 Blues lead.

Alex Pietrangelo then scored a highlight reel goal at the 10 28 mark, giving the Blues a 3 1 lead and matching their season high for goals scored in the second period.

On all three of those goals, Schwartz and Shenn were credited with assists. For Schwartz, his three assist night gave him 18 even strength points this season — the most in the league. Schenn ended up with four assists — getting one on a third period goal by Pietrangelo.

Not only was it the first four assist game of Schenn’s career, it was his first four point night.

“That Tarasenko goal was huge https://www.slbluesfans.com/blank-jersey-c-34.html,” Schenn said. “We get shut out last game and you’re always looking for the first one. It just kind of sparked us.”

Especially the Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko line.

“We were buzzing in the O zone,” Schenn said. “We were having fun.”

On the first of the two Pietrangelo goals, he closed in unimpeded on Maple Leafs goalie Frederik Andersen on the right wing, but didn’t take a shot. In fact, he passed Andersen and appeared to be headed behind the net before tapping in a backhand.

“I looked up and he’s a big goalie, so he kinda took up the whole net,” Pietrangelo said, explaining his patience on the play. “Then when I pushed around, he came out pretty far so I didn’t really have much of a choice but to try and jam it in there.”

It was the kind of goal usually scored by those high end, puck handling wizards who play up front. Asked if he’d ever scored a goal like that before https://www.slbluesfans.com/customize-jersey-c-33.html, Pietrangelo joked “In video games. When I was younger.”

On a night were the Blues also got goals from Magnus Paarjarvi and Vladimir Sobotka, Pietrangelo’s second goal made it 17 scored by Blues defensemen in 15 games. Just when you think the defensive goals will start to subside — they don’t.

“We don’t want them to,” Yeo said. “We want them to be involved, and the forwards deserve an awful lot of the credit. ... What we’re seeing is that the number of chances and shots that we’re getting on a night to night basis from the D continues . I’m not so naive to think that we’re not gonna go a few games here and there without our D men contributing offensively. But it’s sort of in the fabric of our game. It’s the way that we want to play the game.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Mr. Mom Syndrome All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: