Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Toughening up your kid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Toughening up your kid Reply with quote

HELP!!!!

I realize that I'm a guy and I'm raising a girl, but I need help. DD (6) cries at the drop of a hat. It's not just physical things either. Today at gymnastics, the teacher told them they could have a lollipop and then find their parents. DD couldn't find the lollipops, and started to cry (no matter that she has 2 bagfuls of lollipops, uneaten at home).

If anyone corrects her, at all, she starts crying. Out of everyone, I generally have the best results because I goof around a lot when I "correct" (i.e. throwing my hands up and running around the house like a madman if something goes wrong).

I hate to see her cry, but it's getting ridiculous. I think it's important that she "toughen" up a little emotionally, but have no idea how to help her do this.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Godspeed.
Ed.
Househusband

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy it now, she's just warming up to be a teenager Shocked

My 3 almost 4 year old girl cries at the drop of a hat. I just write it off to genetics and look at it as a glimps of things to come.

But seriously, my son used to do the same thing, I've found that basically ignoring the performance does the most to stop it.

-----------Robert
bartii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a son who cries when things don't get his way or he his feeling get hurt. However, the way I deal my son may be different then the way a daughter should be treated.

My youngest son has such a soft heart. He can be hurt easily or gets frustrated, especially at his older brother, when he is force to do something he doesn't want to do.

When he comes crying to me I make a decision on how to handle it two different ways. If his feelings are hurt, and I mean really hurt, I comfort him. I then defend him. If it is more of just a misunderstanding and a forced cry I basically tell him to buck up. When he gets older it will be a lot tougher.

When he doesn't get his way, and he has a really good idea I go with him to whomever won't go his way and decide if there is a way to include his way.

If he is just mad because he isn't getting his way and everyone wants to do it a certain way I tell him he has to either play by their rules, quit crying, or go play by himself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: