Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Classical curriculum vs. whatever it is they do in schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troy Stack-Nelson

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Classical curriculum vs. whatever it is they do in schools Reply with quote

We homeschool our third grade daughter and K son because we want to use a classical curriculum of grammer. logic, and rhetoric. It's what the Greeks and Ronmans used as an educational approach and what WAS used in this country when our grandparents and parents were going through public school.
Our guiding text is The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer. Jessie was a public school teacher who pulled her kids out and homeschooled them in the 1970s. Talk about gutsy, eh?!? Her daughter Susan is now a professor at William and Mary, and has written several homeschool texts, including the "Story of the World" history series.
We also homeschool because we're Christians and we believe in beginning each day with prayer. However, we don't spend school time on religious education; that comes at night before bedtime.
Our kids both love to read, imagine, listen to books on tape and create art. I cannot imagine how picked on they would be in the average public school. And quite frankly, we cannot afford private schooling. Either way, we wouldn't find a school offering the classical approach.
So...that's why we homeschool.
HuaJiaShuYuan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Classical curriculum vs. whatever it is they do in schoo Reply with quote

Troy Stack-Nelson wrote:
We homeschool our third grade daughter and K son because we want to use a classical curriculum of grammer. logic, and rhetoric. ... Our guiding text is The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer. ... Susan ... has written several homeschool texts, including the "Story of the World" history series.

Are these texts written with a secular, neutral, or Christian worldview? Is the "Story of the World" Eurocentric or does it give equal value to histories around the globe?

Troy Stack-Nelso wrote:
We also homeschool because we're Christians and we believe in beginning each day with prayer. However, we don't spend school time on religious education; that comes at night before bedtime. ...

One of the myths perpetuated by non homeschooling parents is that they think homeschooling is only done by Christians who spend the whole day indoctrinating their children on Biblical elements. In fact, these parents ignore the secular indoctrination that their own children must endure in public schools. They decry the one without understanding that it is the other that is destroying their children. While you reserve your Christian studies for "after school hours," your regular instruction is nonetheless informed by your Christian worldview, unlike public schools, which are systematically being stripped of all vestiges of Christianity, including teachers that do not fully embrace and propagate secular humanistic, moral relativistic, post-modern views.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Texts we use Reply with quote

The books present a neutral worldview I guess (although I'm not exactly sure how you are defining secular and neutral). They include all parts of the world in their histories.
bartii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise and Susan Wise Bauer

I've heard that these are very good books. I know many co-homeschoolers that use these books. Have you been using classical form of homeschooling for long?
Hawksbill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Classical teachin' Reply with quote

My wife and I have also decided to homeschool using the classical curricula recommended by Susan Wise Bauer. Another good classical resource is Oliver Van DeMille's book: "A Thomas Jefferson Education". It's a quicker read than Bauers and distills things a bit to help parents figure out "how to do it."

Our kids are still quite young (with the oldest being 3 1/2) so we have a bit of time before adding much in the way of structure to their education.

In the meantime, I've been reading Susan Wise Bauer's book "The Well Educated Mind" which is similar to her homeschooling book except that it instructs an adult how to give themselves the classical education they never received the first time around.

I figure reading as much classical literature myself will help me be a more disciplined thinker all around as well as prepare myself to be my children's teacher / mentor.

I'm just starting out now, reading Herodotus' "The Histories" about the Persian Wars in ancient Greece. Hoo boy, I've got my work cut out for me. It's certainly not like reading a Tom Clancy novel. Confused
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Classical teachin' Reply with quote

Hawksbill wrote:
My wife and I have also decided to homeschool using the classical curricula recommended by Susan Wise Bauer. Another good classical resource is Oliver Van DeMille's book: "A Thomas Jefferson Education". It's a quicker read than Bauers and distills things a bit to help parents figure out "how to do it."

Our kids are still quite young (with the oldest being 3 1/2) so we have a bit of time before adding much in the way of structure to their education.

In the meantime, I've been reading Susan Wise Bauer's book "The Well Educated Mind" which is similar to her homeschooling book except that it instructs an adult how to give themselves the classical education they never received the first time around.

I figure reading as much classical literature myself will help me be a more disciplined thinker all around as well as prepare myself to be my children's teacher / mentor.

I'm just starting out now, reading Herodotus' "The Histories" about the Persian Wars in ancient Greece. Hoo boy, I've got my work cut out for me. It's certainly not like reading a Tom Clancy novel. Confused

Dear Hawksbill,

Congratulations on deciding to give your children the best education that they could ever receive! It speaks volumes about how dedicated you and your wife are to giving your children not only a quality education, but the loving support that you two, as committed parents can give. It's early enough to take a lot of time to explore curricula and discover what's out there. This includes whaty your local school(s) offer in terms of services. Take a minute to find out what the local universities offer through internship programs. We have a fabulous outdoor recreation program which my kids have been able to participate in as "student subjects" As an aware parent, you will also be able to observe your kids over the next few years and learn a lot about how they learn. This will become vitally important, especially if your child(ren) appear to have learning needs. I discovered that my son had ADHD and dyslexia when he was just three. Thanks to early discovery and aggresive intervention, he's now a vitally active fourteen year-old student and learning by leaps and bounds. Keep us posted!

Rich
Hawksbill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rich!

That's good advice about exploring local resources. I'm not too worried about it at the moment, to be sure, just because they're still so young, but I'm sure the time will come.

The decision to homeschool has been kind of a fun (but wild) ride. We've just now started to tell a few people about it (some family, some not) and are getting a variety of responses ranging from supportive to insulting. I expected no less, though. Wink

I've decided to chronicle my thoughts about the process, as well as my own re-eductional preparations for homeschooling in a blog over here:

http://hawksbillsjournal.blogspot.com/

I tend to be a bit too verbose for it to be very entertaining, but right now I'm bouncing back and forth between my own studies of history and "classical" books that I plan to present to the kids some day.
Frank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Well-trained Mind and The Story of the World are both *very* Christian, IMO.

TWTM is a (pale) version of the Trivium. If I wanted to use this general approach to homeschooling, I'd just follow the Trivium and skip all the extra/different silliness those women tacked onto it. I was educated Trivium-style and it does make for a well-rounded and thorough education.

I don't find The Story of the World accurate enough or objective enough as a history text for my taste.

Frank - secular humanist, moral relativist, and whatever else it was that the one poster complained about
HippieMike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are starting our homeschooling venture with a purchased curriculum. Christian Liberty Press is what we are using. Our main reason is the Christian theme that it uses.
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that curriculum like. I don't think I have ever used it.
RB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saxon math; A Beka science, reading, penmanship, and English; McGraw-Hill "Spectrum Spelling," a generic Christian Bible study, and a survey of American wars that we are building.
ladycc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Classical Curriculum Reply with quote

I am very attracted in what a Classical curriculum looks like. I do visualize that it would be fairly changed from what I generally see in the home-school book, and I am covertly hoping that it appearances a little like what I do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: