Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spelling Curriculum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> English / Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Spelling Curriculum Reply with quote

This is our first year of using an entire set of prepared curriculum. We purchased the A Beka series for the fourth grade. We use A Beka 5th grade history (Noah was tired of reading American history) and Saxon 5/4 math. So far, everything has gone very well except for spelling/poetry. The A Beka spelling program looks like it is set up for a classroom rather than for a home schooled child. Our son's spelling grades plummeted during the first three weeks of the school year. Both Noah and I agreed that we should return to McGraw-Hill's Spectrum series for spelling, a book that can be purchased at any book store. Sometimes, Walmart carries them. Once we returned to Spectrum, his grades jumped! It was a good move.

I am open to ideas for effective spelling curriculum for home schoolers. What curriculum do you use for spelling? Is it working? Why or why not? Do you recommend the program?
MarkLeavenworth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Spelling Reply with quote

My boys are both reading first-grade readers at 4 and 5 years old. My 5 year-old is gaining ground rapidly with the spelling curriculum I've been using. I couldn't find materials that were not confused, so here is what I've been doing: First, they mastered all the short-vowel sounds. Shortly thereafter, they learned 'the' 'of' 'me'. At that point, they could begin reading books that adhere strictly to short-vowel spellings. Second, they learned 'ch' 'sh' 'th'. Third, they learned the final 'e' where the vowel says its name, along with the 2-vowel combinations (ea, oa, ai). From then on, what I had to do, was go through a dictionary and find any spelling that had some other rule (omitting obviously foreign words or spellings). The essence of the rule I listed in a notebook, gradually producing a collection of about seven rules, and 18 endings (I haven't quite finished adding rules). I work from the list, adding one rule or ending every couple of weeks during their reading/spelling instruction (along with a list of words for that rule or ending).
Elizabeth Lindsay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an expert teacher of english grammar and currently working on a top academic site . I can help you enhance your correspondence ability, certainty and grammar.
DavidCyryl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The capacity of the written work benefit is something you should be completely ready about. On the off chance that you are searching for powerful composition, at that point ensure they are experienced at that, and comprehend your desires. Coursework Writing Service
herrycolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong training methods have reached the biggest market of All About Spelling.

Multisensory strategy makes it easy for children to understand
Integral evaluation system assists learning stick
Children look forward to punctuation classes because of the encouraging, hands-on activities
That mastery-based, developing stop program works with kiddies who have learning disabilities as well as those that don't
Our explicit training assists pupils succeed

dubai bookkeeping services
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> English / Language All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: