Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mission Trip to New Orleans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Mission Trip to New Orleans Reply with quote

Hi guys,

We've been back a few weeks now but I wanted to tell you all about our trip. It all started with our senior high youth group who during one of their meetings, agreed to do something relevent; something that made a real difference. By the end of their meeting, they had decided to spend their winter break from school working to help hurricane survivors in Louisiana. These kids collected donations of food and supplies and raised money; all in about six weeks. We dorve down in two large cars and towed a trailer full- twenty six hours each way... Once there, we met some of the most gracious and appreciative people. We were truly humbled. Some of us worked on gutting houses while others worked passing out goods. We spent a lot of time listening to amazing stories. For those of you who think things are better in the disaster zone, they aren't. This area by the way, is roughly the size of England. There are still a lot of people suffering and they all feel forgotten. We learned that contrary to what the news media has shown, it's not that unusual to live in a below sea level area like New Orleans. When you take a look at coastal zones throughout the world, you see the most heavily populated cities ever built. They're all at and below sea level and would all look like New Orleans were they to get hit by such a storm and flood. Our eyes were opened. Probably the single most important thing that we all experienced was just what we went looking for; to have made a difference by working side by side with our brothers and sisters in Christ, hearing their stories, feeling their pain and accepting their heartfelt gratitude. Truly a moving experience which we all plan to repeat again next year. Don't worry, there will still be plenty to do. I urge you all to search your hearts and consider making a mission trip to help hurricane survivors. We went to Louisiana but Mississippi and probably Alabama would have needs as well.

Peace,

Rich
bartii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

That is awesome. I had a friend you went to NO and it changed his life. I am sure the kids at your church have been changed as well. GREAT JOB!!

bwb
Frank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your efforts and this post.

I was born and raised in New Orleans; and despite the fact that I've lived in the Seattle area for a long time, I was there for Katrina and Rita. Several of my realtives still live there; and, yes, it's still pretty much a wasteland.

So for what it's worth, I personally thank you for your efforts to help revive this devastated area.

Frank
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Thanks for your efforts and this post.

I was born and raised in New Orleans; and despite the fact that I've lived in the Seattle area for a long time, I was there for Katrina and Rita. Several of my realtives still live there; and, yes, it's still pretty much a wasteland.

So for what it's worth, I personally thank you for your efforts to help revive this devastated area.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for responding. I'm still amazed that after all of that pain and devastation, the people who survived can carry on as well as they are. How did your family do after the storms? I really believe that we came away with so much more than we ever could have left there. You come from good stock.

Rich
Frank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:

Hi Frank,

Thanks for responding. I'm still amazed that after all of that pain and devastation, the people who survived can carry on as well as they are. How did your family do after the storms? I really believe that we came away with so much more than we ever could have left there. You come from good stock.

Rich

Thanks for asking, Rich,

My dad's house in Metairie was untouched. Probably never even lost power, although we were all in Houston for a coupla weeks after Katrina so I can't say that for sure. My sister in River Ridge (near Metairie) lost power from fallen trees/branches and had some other damage but nothing significant. She returned to her job at Ochsner (organ transplant group) pretty quickly after Katrina. My sister in Slidell lives in an area which often floods, so her house is raised. They lost everything on the ground floor, including a lot of expensive tools (table saw, etc.) but the flooding stopped short of their living area on the upper floor. Nieces and nephews fared worse, losing their homes and belongings.

We were living there aboard our boat (preparing to depart for a Caribbean cruise) which, amazingly, survived although she was surrounded by grounded and sunken craft. We returned from our evacuation to Houston in time to re-prepare our boat and leave the marina, just to ride out Rita at anchor up a bayou off Lake Pontchartrain. Eventually, they got the bridges on the Industrial Canal working and we escaped to the Gulf of Mexico.

My family in New Orleans are all essentially recovered, except for their bank accounts, and are doing much better than many of the folks who are still trying to rebuild/repair back to a basic level of existence.

We're back in Seattle now; but I'll probably create some time this Summer to visit N.O. for a while and help out as much as I can.

See ya,

Frank
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Rich wrote:

Hi Frank,

Rich

Thanks for asking, Rich,

My dad's house in Metairie was untouched. Probably never even lost power, although we were all in Houston for a coupla weeks after Katrina so I can't say that for sure. My sister in River Ridge (near Metairie) lost power from fallen trees/branches and had some other damage but nothing significant. She returned to her job at Ochsner (organ transplant group) pretty quickly after Katrina. My sister in Slidell lives in an area which often floods, so her house is raised. They lost everything on the ground floor, including a lot of expensive tools (table saw, etc.) but the flooding stopped short of their living area on the upper floor. Nieces and nephews fared worse, losing their homes and belongings.

We were living there aboard our boat (preparing to depart for a Caribbean cruise) which, amazingly, survived although she was surrounded by grounded and sunken craft. We returned from our evacuation to Houston in time to re-prepare our boat and leave the marina, just to ride out Rita at anchor up a bayou off Lake Pontchartrain. Eventually, they got the bridges on the Industrial Canal working and we escaped to the Gulf of Mexico.

My family in New Orleans are all essentially recovered, except for their bank accounts, and are doing much better than many of the folks who are still trying to rebuild/repair back to a basic level of existence.

We're back in Seattle now; but I'll probably create some time this Summer to visit N.O. for a while and help out as much as I can.

See ya,

Frank

While you and all of your family were impacted, some greatly, it's a miracle that nobody was lost. I hope that you all eventually get back to where you were. Thanks for telling the story.

Rich
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich wrote:

While you and all of your family were impacted, some greatly, it's a miracle that nobody was lost. I hope that you all eventually get back to where you were. Thanks for telling the story.

Rich

Well, we were smart and lucky enough that we all evacuated. I admit it was a close thing. Having grown up there and lived through Betsy and Camille without evacuating, I was a bit casual about Katrina. On Saturday, we tied our boat up as best we could and went to stay with my sister in River Ridge, a "high and dry" area. As far as I was concerned, we'd just stay there; and that was my plan when I went to sleep Saturday night. My wife and sister sat up all night listening to radio and tv reports. They woke me Sunday morning and said, "We're leaving!" Being the wise husband that I am, I agreed.

I'm glad I did.

Sunday, we drove to Houston (slowly! rush-hour type traffic the whole way from N.O. to Houston) and invaded my brother's house. Interestingly, he and his wife were away, getting their daughter set up in college (Michigan). We wound up with a dozen relatives staying there for a coupla weeks and turned it into an impromptu family reunion. Considering the circumstances which caused it, it was a delightful get-together.

My other relatives in N. O. evacuated to other friends' or relatives' houses outside the city and were also safe. Some friends wound up staying at Red Cross shelters for months. Some were lucky, some were not. That our boat survived was amazing luck. Multi-million dollar yachts near our simple, little family sailboat were sunk. She had sunken boats literally on either side of her, almost touching the hull. Every boat on stands on the ground in the marina's yard was knocked over and severely damaged or completely destroyed.

Anyway, yeah, compared to the generic New Orleans experience, ours was nothing. Even the worst-hit, my nephew who lost his home and belongings in the massive flooding in the Lakeview area, was still safe and healthy and ready to reclaim his (new) life post-Katrina.

They were still finding bodies last Thanksgiving (2006)! Gruesome. Compared to that, my family fared very well.

See ya,

Frank
HippieMike

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Mississippi. Not on the Gulf Coast mind you, but I just want to say that it has been two years and there is still a lot of work to be done down there.

We are now in the middle of yet again another hurricane seaseon and September is ususally when we get hit the hardest. I would ask that you all keep those in the areas that got devestated two years ago, all along all of the coast in your prayers.

Last year we were blessed that no hurricane came on land here. Please pray that this year would be gentle as far as hurricanes go as well.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HippieMike wrote:
I live in Mississippi. Not on the Gulf Coast mind you, but I just want to say that it has been two years and there is still a lot of work to be done down there.

We are now in the middle of yet again another hurricane seaseon and September is ususally when we get hit the hardest. I would ask that you all keep those in the areas that got devestated two years ago, all along all of the coast in your prayers.

Last year we were blessed that no hurricane came on land here. Please pray that this year would be gentle as far as hurricanes go as well.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the timely reminder. It has indeed been saving Grace that no hurricanes have made landfall in that area since. Too bad the tornadoes didn't listen. We should pray for God's continuing protection of this struggling area.

As I think back on the time I spent in New Orleans last February, I remember how the area was still disaster stricken, looking dry but very much the same as it was right after the storms. Our group has been collecting funds to help in the restoration phase and is planning another mission trip for this coming February. We've also begun the process of adopting a parish. As you can tell, we were very much moved into action by the experience of visiting the area and coming to know the people.

Rich
herrycolin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now in the center of all over again another hurricane season and September is usually when we get hit the hardest. I would ask that you all keep those in the areas that got devastated couple of years ago, all along all of the coast in your prayers.

accounting and bookkeeping
wineprices

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Want To Know Vintage Wine Prices Reply with quote

Wish to know what a specific vintage wine has sold for at auction? You can search our vast database which is based on major commercial auctions. You can check the actual selling prices of the fine, rare and Vintage Wine Prices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: