Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Requiescat in Pace

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Requiescat in Pace Reply with quote

Arthur C. Clarke died earlier this week.

There is no contender for the throne, the pretenders are especially inadequate. Now all the old masters of scientific science-fiction are gone. I loved Asimov best overall but Clarke *moved* me more often. I admit I miss Heinlein, too, but only for his earlier work; he essentially fell off my radar after "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and I never found him to be an admirable person, like I did Asimov, Clarke, and others from that generation. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I loved Alice Mary (Andre) Norton, who died in 2005. Juvenile books? Fluff? Call it what you want; insult it if you must. I don't care; I love Andre Norton and still reread her regularly. "Star Rangers" aka "The Last Planet" remains one of my alltime favorites. But back to Sir Arthur…

Arthur C. Clarke gave us "The Star," "The Nine Billion Names of God," "Childhood's End," "The City and the Stars," the concept of geosynchronous communications satellites (and that orbital region is now called – by the cognoscenti – the Clarke Belt, in his honor), the concept of the space elevator*, which I expect to see started if not completed in my lifetime, and so much more. Ok, and I guess I can't escape without referencing "The Sentinel" which was turned into "2001: A Space Odyssey."

I'll miss him.

Clarke is famous for his quote "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." and his waggish "Fourth Law" which states the ineffable truth: For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.

But none to match Sir Arthur.

Adieu, mon vieux!

Frank

*I make no apology to those of you who are gonna throw Tsiolkovsky at me regarding the space elevator. He was a brilliant thinker and innovator and has a darkside Lunar crater named after him. (You hear it mentioned in the movie "Apollo 13.") But nobody argues for him in the context of flight equations vs. the Wright brothers, or rocketry vs. Oberth, Goddard, et al., and I ain't gonna cede the space elevator to him in place of Clarke. For more on the space elevator, check this site http://www.liftport.com/
smortag

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ok i will think about tht man
Frank S Wilkinson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you don’t feel ashamed or something like this. As to love or miss someone which you truly love there is nothing bad. And for this, you don’t have to think about the world. As the world is only can do rushmyessays.com.au conversations nothing else. So don’t worry and do what you think is right.
panistefanin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can not help you! I'm not good at this. Sorry!((
talktomcalisters.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: