Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June Contest: Worst HS Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> The Homeschool Dads Contests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: June Contest: Worst HS Experience Reply with quote

The June05 Contest is for your story of the "Worst Homeschooling Experience". Have you ever had a really bad day teaching in homeschool? A science project that blew up in a "Tim The Toolman Taylor" fashion? A field trip you lost directions to? What was your worst day?

Tell us about it and WIN a Cool New HomeschoolDads.com T-Shirt from our Swag Store! Entries are open until June 15th, then I'll create a Poll to decide the winner.

Mark

Last edited by BigDaddy on Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this story won't make anyone laugh but is probably WAS the worst homeschool experience that we had.

About five years ago, while working with a "Christian" homeschooling group, we attended a lecture given by a local meteorologist. The presentation was excellent and my son, who has both dyslexia and ADHD and who at the time. wasn't as well controlled as he is now, was completely captivated. As anyone who might be living with this knows, impulsive behavior is very hard to get a handle on. This time, he was very full of questions and answers and others in the group often had to wait to get their chance to participate. I spent the entire time whispering to him, saying give others a turn, and hold on. In my own opinion, his behavior might have been noteworthy but I wouldn't have allowed him to be disruptive. As his parent, I think I would've overjudged the behavior rather than underjudge it and would've left rather than be considered a bother. Anyway, when the presentation was over, we left and went back home to finish the school day. When I read my email later, it contained a meassage from one of the lovely Christian moms giving me a piece of her mind. How dare I encourage such obnoxious behavior rather than attempt to quiet it. From where SHE sat, it was clear that I was "egging" my son on so that he would appear to be brighter than the rest of the kids. She went on to say that she had received more than one other complaint from some of the moms there about my son's behavior that day.

This woman had never before even spoken to me and she obviously knew nothing of my son or other two children, for that matter. Funny how she could see so well and know so much from where she sat, across the large and crowded room. She obviously had no reservations about rendering judgement based on what she thought she saw. It was nice to know too, that she wasn't the only other caring and compassionate Christian in the room at the time.

I was absolutely floored. After many hours of being consumed with rage, I was finally able to reply in a civil manner. I began by pointing out that I had thought XYZ group was a Christian organization and as such, sought the will of God in all things. Christians strive to follow the example of Christ, and show His love to all people. I went on to point out to her that she was too far away to know anything about the exchange going on between my son and I. Identifying that often things are not what they seem to be, I proceeded to tell her the details. At the end of the message, I elected not to, as she had, share my opinions and finished with stating that I felt XYZ group couldn't offer what we were seeking as a family. We never went back and as you might suspect, she never replied.

I thought later of sending her a W.W.J.D. bracelet, but decided not to because my motive wouldn't have been a Christian one.
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: First Day of Kindergarten Reply with quote

Last year was our first year of homeschooling and we spent most of the summer "building up" how much fun we were going to have, etc. We planned out our first day with meticulous detail with the whole idea being that it would be "lightweight" and fun. No big deal, right?

Well, my daughter, woke up at 6:30 (instead of the normal 8:00), so we were running "early" to start with. Then, she decided that instead of Perkins, she wanted to go to Krispy Kreme for breakfast. No big deal, but KK takes a LOT less time than Perkins. We then arrived at the library almost an hour before they even opened.

We live near Lake Erie and their is a big tower that is next to the library. We went over to it and played on the pier some, then went up to the second story observation floor. While coming down, my daughter (who was dressed up in fancy "first day of school" clothes) tripped in her new shoes and started falling down the concrete stairs. Luckily, I was able to grab her by her leg and she also bounced off 3 stairs, instead of the whole dozen.

Unfortunately, I grabbed her so hard, I left bruises on her legs. You could see my fingers for a week. Then we sat as she cried for more than 20 minutes. After that, we headed over to the library. We had planned on spending quite a bit of time there, exploring, and finding fun books, etc. But all my daughter wanted to do was play with the big teddy bear and really wanted nothing to do with the books. Again, we had another major crying spell.

By the time we left the library, we were 2 hours ahead of schedule. We got home to wait for my wife (who takes half days off on Tuesdays and was going to join us for our afternoon events). My daughter decided that she wanted to watch a new TV show instead of "reading". That was followed by a control contest that resulted in a 90 minute crying session. (ever notice that no one ever wins a control contest?).

After my wife finally got home, we headed off to the zoo. Things went pretty well there, until another girl bumped into my daughter and knocked her down. Of course, the other girl was fine, and my daughter scraped up her knees pretty bad. We ended up having to carry her back to the car because she was crying so bad.

So, all in all, our first day was pretty much a day of tears for our daughter, and high frustration for the teacher.

You can't imagine how thankful I am that we've never had another day like that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> The Homeschool Dads Contests All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: