Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magic "Homeschool" Moment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Magic "Homeschool" Moment Reply with quote

I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd do it here.

Had a great Memorial Day today. We went to a family picnic & I was out back with a bunch of the kids and a couple of the moms. All of the kids were girls between 3 - 7. (dd is almost 6).

One of the girls saw a centipede and started freaking out. So I reached down & picked it up & put it in my hand. Recently we had read a few pages on insects so, I remembered a few interesting facts. We talked about how many legs most centipedes have (60-70), how they moved, how they have hard shells to protect them, how "cent" means 100 & "pedes" mean feet, etc, etc.

One of the mom's mentioned how impressed she was that not only that I knew all that stuff, but that her 3 y.o. daughter would touch and pet an insect. I told her that we homeschooled and that we had just studied insects, etc.

It just felt neat that I was able to teach not just my dd, but all the kids there that they don't need to be afraid of "bugs", etc. It really helped solidify in me that I'm a good teacher, that what we're doing isn't just about books, and that the attitude of learning is more important than book knowledge.

Thanks for reading!
bartii

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! An educator to the community as well as to your daughter.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic "Homeschool" Moment Reply with quote

edtheredhead wrote:
I'm not sure where to post this, so I thought I'd do it here.

Had a great Memorial Day today. We went to a family picnic & I was out back with a bunch of the kids and a couple of the moms. All of the kids were girls between 3 - 7. (dd is almost 6).

One of the girls saw a centipede and started freaking out. So I reached down & picked it up & put it in my hand. Recently we had read a few pages on insects so, I remembered a few interesting facts. We talked about how many legs most centipedes have (60-70), how they moved, how they have hard shells to protect them, how "cent" means 100 & "pedes" mean feet, etc, etc.

One of the mom's mentioned how impressed she was that not only that I knew all that stuff, but that her 3 y.o. daughter would touch and pet an insect. I told her that we homeschooled and that we had just studied insects, etc.

It just felt neat that I was able to teach not just my dd, but all the kids there that they don't need to be afraid of "bugs", etc. It really helped solidify in me that I'm a good teacher, that what we're doing isn't just about books, and that the attitude of learning is more important than book knowledge.

Thanks for reading!

Great story, Ed! I share your thinking that we would be able to tell that we were doing our jobs well when kids showed more than assignments completed but enthusiasm for learning. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: