Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeschool as College Prep

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corvis

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Homeschool as College Prep Reply with quote

I am reading alot about HomeSchooling for, K-9 or K-12 but have not read anything about how adequately (or not) homeschool prepares kids for College.

Does anyone have any experience with homeshoolers who've applied to college, and how successful they are compared to Public Schoolers? How to colleges qualify/rate applicants who were homeschooled?
bartii

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent your message to my homeschool chat groups. I am waiting for one more response, but her are the two I have thus far:

First response:

I applied to college with a G.E.D. in Colorado. I was never treated any differently from someone who had a High-School diploma. I was expecting to have to explain myself to prove that I could indeed go to
college, that I wasn't some kind of "lazy drop-out." The college was only interested that I passed the G.E.D. and the kinds of grades I got while attending college.

"Does anyone have any experience with homeshoolers
who've applied to college, and how successful they are
compared to Public Schoolers? How to colleges
qualify/rate applicants who were homeschooled?""

They just look at the scores you get on a G.E.D. and the SAT. I took the SAT's while in High School, so I don't know how hard it will be for a home schooler to take, or if the college will just ask you to take a test that they have compiled.

This is just my experience with Colorado, I'm not sure how other States handle it.

Hope this helps!

-Petrina

Second response:

Bart,

I have had 2 children apply for college - One attended Albertson - and is continuing with post graduate work in New York. The other just finished his Soph year at BSU(Boise State University). There were no problems for us in the application process. Some schools are more homeschool friendly than others. (Because of the size, and because they are private, Albertson and NNU(Northwest Nazarence College) are pretty homeschool friendly. - my daughter was among some of the first homeschool students to apply to Albertson back in about 1997)

Most schools require a GED. BSU has the h/s student on 1 semester of probation. One of my friend's children is in her first year at Princeton. Another friend's children graduated from Case Western and Valpraso with honors. All have received academic scholarships. The success of homeschool children on the college level depends on how well the children have been prepared. Generally speaking, homeschool students have done well on the college level because they are motivated and self-taught. If theyknow how to learn - then they typically do well. For the most part, homeschool students are gaining a postive reputation on the college level and are more than willing to work with h/s students in the application process.

Treasure Valley Homeschool News is planning to present a college seminar for homeschool families interested in the application process - preparation - transcripts - etc. in Sept. This seminar is still in the planning stages.

In TVHN I recently published an article from a Boise homeschool student - I interviewed her and asked about her h/s experience and her college experience, how well it prepared her, the advantages, the disadvantages. She is currently doing post graduate work at Harvard. I have another article from a nursing BSU graduate on the back burner - asking the same types of questions.

Lissa Forrey
Treasure Valley Homeschool News
bartii

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sent this website

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/olderkids/College.htm

They list colleges that have accepted homeschoolers. However, I did notice that not all colleges or universities that have accepted homeschoolers are listed.
bartii

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent your message to a family member who knows some homeschoolers who are in college. Here is a reply from Jesse Huso
University of Idaho:

One section had this question, "I am reading alot
about HomeSchooling for, K-9 or K-12 but have not read anything about how adequately (or not) homeschool
prepares kids for College.

Well, when I graduated I had two degrees (physics and math), about six publications in major scientific journals and an award for excellence in physics. Home schooling does work, and in my opinion it works quite well. I felt that I was very well prepared for college and I known six other home schoolers that are either in college or have graduated and all are doing just fine. I never felt that I was unprepared in any area for "real school." The two best things about being home schooled were the fact that I learned to study on my own, an absolute necessity for physics majors, and the attitude that I never stop learning even when class is over. If I had to do it over again, I would.

> > Does anyone have any experience with homeshoolers who've applied to college, and how successful they are compared to Public Schoolers? How to colleges qualify/rate applicants who were homeschooled?"

The entrance requirements vary drastically from school to school. The University of Idaho didn't really care that I'd been home schooled, but Georgia Tech required so many tests that it would take three years just
to take them all. One tip for entrance to college: don't tell them any more than they ask for. For example, my Mom made a diploma for me when I graduated and when the college applications asked if I would have a high school diploma before I entered college, I just said "yes" and left it at that. They did not ask if the school was accredited or not. If I said "no" then I would have had to take the GED exam, which is a walk in the park, but I refused on principle because by requiring the GED they're effectively telling me I didn't learn anything in school. In the end, I was on academic probation for my first semester to see if I could perform at the same level as the "regular" students, but I got at 3.8 GPA my first semester so it wasn't a problem.
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a news story out of Connecticut today about a boy headed to college after homeschooling. I've posted it here: http://www.homeschooldads.com/news/5-30-2005.html
danieljorden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most universal reasons parents prefer to homeschool their write my essay for me children don't moderate once a child go into the high school years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Reasons for Starting All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: