Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of the Year Burn Out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: End of the Year Burn Out! Reply with quote

Is anybody else out there ready to quit for the year? It always happens to me around March. I've heard of some homeschoolers who go year-round to try and avoid this. I think I may try that. Teach for 3 weeks, then take a week off, teach 3 weeks, take a week off. Or maybe try teaching 2 months followed by 1 month off. Anybody else try this routine?
TheFlea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go year round and just take time off when we feel we need it. I'm not big on schedules but I try to set dates by when I want to reach certain lessons.

www.jmdahl.blogspot.com
Househusband

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go year round. it allows us to take breaks whenever we need to for travel or major chores etc, plus the flexability keeps things from getting in a rut.
If we tried to do it everyday on a schedual, I'd never get a chance to go shopping ( going to town for a shopping trip involves about 120 miles of driving round trip by the time all the errands are done so it's generally an all day affair )
We regularly do lessons on weekends, and many times in the evening.

---------Robert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We homeschool year round. If we didn't, my children would consider it to be punishment. There was only one time that we officially "took a break" and that was at the end of our first year. I told my daughter that after she finished the Iowa ( one of the options for assessments in Ohio ), that we'ld take a couple of weeks off. As it happened, we visited relatives in Washington, DC, during that time, and dd and I visited Smithsonian Natural History. My seven year old child calmly informed every staff member we encountered that she was on a break from school and was not learning anything at all. Then she would start talking about the nearest exhibit, and it was always obvious that either she had read the materials associated with it in great detail, or posessed an encyclopedic knolowedge of natural history. ( I can assure you that it was the former. ) The more that she say that the docets were wierded out by her behavior, the more she pursued it.

Basically, _I_ learned that her learning didn't stop. Now-a-days if we start getting burned out by a project too big or one running too long, we lay it aside and try something else. If anything, the changing seasons offer us a change in goings on and that alone breaths a freshness into our daily life.

Paul
ml20pfeiffer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually belong to a homeschool group through one of our local christian schools. It is called the Independent Studies Program. The only difference is that through the program we are provided a coordinator that meets with us monthly to help assess how we are doing and if we need to change anything. Mostly our coordinator has been a great sounding board for those times when I am not sure of what to do or how. These coordinators are licensed teachers who homeschooled their kids all the way up. The program also provides standardized testing at the end of each year, late April or early March. By being a part of this program our kids our recognized by the State of Ohio as students of Mansfield Christian. This also allows the kids to be a part of any extra curricular sports or activities the school offers. We homeschool our kids with the exception of every other Friday. On those days they meet at the school and all the coordinators teach different classes for all the kids in the independent studies program. The kids are there from 10 to 2. It offers a nice break for me every other Friday, and the kids love being with the other homeschooled kids. The coordinators also schedule many field trips, plays, swimming lessons and other things for us to be involved in if we choose. It does not go year around, but we do feel that if offers us the best of both the homeschooling and what Christian schooling offers.

I have found that I am a pretty structured person, ( the public school teacher in me), and thus need to follow a more structured schedule each day. This is not always true, but for the most part is what seems to work best for me and the kids. We start about 9:00 in the morning. We work until about 11:30, then break for lunch and general goofing around. We try, I emphasize try here, to start back up about 1:00 and finish in usually about an hour. That is mostly all bookwork of some type. Again, I have only been doing this for three years and this is the first year teaching both, so I am still tinkering with things. We also vacation twice during the year, 3 to 4 weeks total, and I always count that as schooling. I think that sometimes the kids learn twice as much on a vacation as they do in a month of schooling at home.

Thanks for all the great e-mails!

Matt(ml20pfeiffer)
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the perspectives. I have decided to take a few weeks off from schooling now and start back up again in mid April. Then perhaps go into a flexible schedule of 1 week off for every 4 on or something.

Mark
Rich

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Over the years, we've varied the routine a bit but generally take the majority of the summer off. We do some unit study things incorporating field trips and such. Our schedule has been to officially begin the year on the last week of August going Monday through Friday until the week before Christmas. We then break until after Epiphany. Afterwards, we go Monday through Friday again until mid May. Between May and August, we do one or two unit studies; frequently nature based but history, art and music have been done too. We have found that keeping the pace up a little prevents the need for warm up or review in the fall. Besides, without those unit studies, the kids complain that they're bored even with all of the summer fun things to do. I think they miss the academic stimulation. For the past three summers, we have had a Fresh Air Fund kid from New York City stay with us and even he enjoys the school stuff. Further proof that education can be fun, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: