Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sole Chicken (aka Teak-and-Holly Chicken)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Sole Chicken (aka Teak-and-Holly Chicken) Reply with quote

We were recently socializing with some sailing friends, chatting about living and cooking/eating on a boat, and the kids reminded me of their favorite chicken dish from our cruising days; so I thought I’d share it here since we have so little traffic on this ng.

The name of the dish comes from the fact that the “floor” of a sailboat is called the “sole” and it makes a nice auditory play on soul vs. sole. The sole is made of teak and holly strips, thus the alternate name “teak-and-holly chicken.”

The dish is called that because midway through the cooking process when I went to check on it, I spilled the contents of the dish onto the sole. Being the frugal (CHEAP!) sailor/chef that I am, I just scooped it all back into the dish, confident that the continued cooking would kill any germs. According to the kids, this step is what adds that special flavor which is otherwise missing. You may consider this step optional! (grin)

Enjoy a rum punch in the cockpit while watching the sunset as the chicken cooks, then have another with dinner. Perfect!

Sole Chicken
aka Teak-and-Holly Chicken
feeds 4

Chicken breasts – 4 (I use boneless-skinless)
Onion – 1 chopped fine
Bell pepper – 1 chopped fine
Celery – a coupla ribs chopped fine
Garlic – a few toes chopped fine
Bay leaf – a couple
Rum – enough to get things wet (I use a cup... or so!)
Orange juice – 1/2 cup or so (when cruising, substitute a local juice: guava, etc.)
Cinnamon – about 1 tsp
Cayenne – to taste (that means use a LOT!)
Paprika – to taste
Salt and pepper – to taste
Cooked rice

Preheat oven to 350. Pour half the rum and half the OJ into a 9X13 baking dish. Sprinkle half the veggies (all the bay leaves) into the dish. Place breasts on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon, cayenne, paprika, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the rest of the veggies over the chicken. Splash on the rest of the rum and OJ. Bake about an hour, depending on your oven. (Boat ovens are notoriously finicky.) Place breasts on plates and serve with rice. Remove the bay leaves and stir the veggies. Correct the seasonings then spoon ‘em over the rice. Or put ‘em on the side. Or not, depending on how much your kids like or dislike veggies.

Remember: to make truly authentic (original-style) sole/teak-and-holly chicken, after about half an hour of cooking, open the oven to check the chicken. Spill it onto the sole (floor) then scoop it all back into the pan.
jawe73

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatk, this is really useful info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Cooking 101 All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: