Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motivating For Better Grades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Starting a Homeschool
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Motivating For Better Grades Reply with quote

One of the problems I had early on was motivation to do good work. My sons just wanted to get the work done so they could finish up and play.

When it came to their handwriting, were very sloppy and can still be sloppy at times. With my youngest who is in 2nd grade now, I was mostly concerned with if the spelling was correct or not. Once they reached 2nd grade, we worked more on penmanship and being neat about it. What worked for me to motivate them was that they were into the Yu-Gi-Oh trading cards. (sports cards, hot wheels, etc will work also) When we started, they didn't have a whole lot of them. So I went and bought some and showed them. Then I gave them the rules: If they turned in a sloppy paper, they lose a card. If they turned in a neat paper, they receive a card. I also started using this format for tests as well. If they scored a 100% on a test, they received 2 cards or only 1 card for a 95% or better. However, If they scored below 80% they lost 1 card or 2 cards if they scored below 70%.

One key in receiving or loosing cards, was THEY had to select the card to gain OR loose from the deck face down. This way they couldn't just loose one of their not so favorite cards or gain a card they wanted. They didn't know what the card was until it was picked.
Treeman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, but my kids aren't really into collecting anything like that. Maybe I could just use folded up slips of paper with special incentives written on them. A ten minute break, extra computer or TV time(which is strictly limited in our house), special snack or treat. Any other ideas?
krish

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Motivating For Better Grades Reply with quote

BigDaddy wrote:
One of the problems I had early on was motivation to do good work. My sons just wanted to get the work done so they could finish up and play.

When it came to their handwriting, were very sloppy and can still be sloppy at times. With my youngest who is in 2nd grade now, I was mostly concerned with if the spelling was correct or not. Once they reached 2nd grade, we worked more on penmanship and being neat about it. What worked for me to motivate them was that they were into the Yu-Gi-Oh trading cards. (sports cards, hot wheels, etc will work also) When we started, they didn't have a whole lot of them. So I went and bought some and showed them. Then I gave them the rules: If they turned in a sloppy paper, they lose a card. If they turned in a neat paper, they receive a card. I also started using this format for tests as well. If they scored a 100% on a test, they received 2 cards or only 1 card for a 95% or better. However, If they scored below 80% they lost 1 card or 2 cards if they scored below 70%.

One key in receiving or loosing cards, was THEY had to select the card to gain OR loose from the deck face down. This way they couldn't just loose one of their not so favorite cards or gain a card they wanted. They didn't know what the card was until it was picked.

Sounds interesting. Interesting BTW buddy. I will try them for future. Thank you fr sharing them.
JamesCameron

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Study Reply with quote

A standout in the middle of the most well-known opinion regarding teaching is that it is future to set you up everlastingly. write my paper for money gives you ability that resemble apparatuses.
robertjack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Teaching Reply with quote

Motivation is a crucial condition of one's positive execution in any movement. It is showed that a individual Write my Assignment for me knows why and for what that work should be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Starting a Homeschool All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: