Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Readers - Spanish Or German

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Materials Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Early Readers - Spanish Or German Reply with quote

Howdy Y'All. (I like to pretend I'm in the south)

We're working on Spanish & German with my dd (6). We did just a wee bit last year, but we're going to be doing more this year. We are teaching the 2 simultaneously and surprisingly, she's doing very well with it.

She is also doing very well reading. She's currently doing the Core 1 with Advanced Readers. She's also been reading things like Cat in the Hat, etc. over the summer.

In about 6 months, or so, we will be ready to start introducing her to reading in Spanish & German. I would like to start working on gathering some materials now, as I realize that some of the materials will need to come from overseas and may take awhile to get.

Would anyone here have recommendations (i.e. Titles) of early readers for kindergarten/First grade level?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Foreign Languages Reply with quote

Hi guys,

We've used the PowerGlide curriculum for languages and find it to be excellent. It is very possible to get a working knowledge of the study language even for someone as young as first grade however, in order to be really conversant, an interactive program is best. If several use the PowerGlide together, that would approximate. Just some thoughts.

Rich
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea Rich, but we actually tried Power Glide. Then I found out the history of it. The original creators of this system were Masonic and from the Latter-Day Saints. This caused us some serious concern. We only found that out after our daughter told us she didn't like it and we had set it aside.

Thanks for the idea though.
Rich

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: PowerGlide Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting, Ed. Back when we first saw PowerGlide, we evaluated the program for its merits and found it to be effective for teaching language. We never found the spiritual convictions of the authors to influence the lessons but I suppose on principle, these matters could be of importance to some. I am surprised however, to learn this because I first saw PowerGlide at a very conservative Christian homeschooling convention.
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, from what I've read about it, there was originally a lot more mormon stuff in it. Here's a link to a thread on it on another board (Sonlight boards).

http://www.sonlight-forums.com/showthread.php?t=56215

I figured it's easier to post a link than try to copy all the stuff there.
ladycc

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Spanish Readers Reply with quote

Early Readers Spanish grade valuable as you exploration for volumes for your original or growing readers. Recollect to preserve it amusing and attractive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Materials Wanted All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: