Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Math Curriculum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dadguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Math Curriculum Reply with quote

We have been homeschooling our oldest son for 2 years now. I teach Math and Science while my wife covers everything else. We started with Saxon Math which was "OK", but we are now using Math-U-See which is excellent. I see us sticking with Math-U-See for the long term, but I always like to see what else is out there.

Does anyone have any input regarding the different Math curriculum out there?

Thanks.
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Math Curriculum Reply with quote

dadguy wrote:
We have been homeschooling our oldest son for 2 years now. I teach Math and Science while my wife covers everything else. We started with Saxon Math which was "OK", but we are now using Math-U-See which is excellent. I see us sticking with Math-U-See for the long term, but I always like to see what else is out there.

Thanks.

I've always used the Abeka Curriculum which seems fairly easy to use. But I've also not had anything to compare it to. There is a Homeschool Curriculum fair coming here to Orlando on April 9th. I hope to attend it to check out some different options. I'm most interested in either Online or Computer oriented curriculum due to space. We're downsizing to an RV for the next 2 years or so to do homeschooling on the road.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using Horizons math. It is colorful and it continually goes over what the child has learned even when they go onto a new subject.
NW_Dad@home

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried MathUSee, but found it to be a bit dry for the kids (Kindergarten & 2nd grade)

After looking at others for a while, we gave Singapore Math a try. The kids enjoy the workbooks much more and are grasping the concepts faster, with less hand-holding than MathUSee seemed to need.
Pat McLaughlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Math Curriculum Reply with quote

dadguy wrote:

Thanks.

I'm not a curriculum kinda guy. Textbooks, ack. I'd rather eat sawdust for breakfast, without milk....

But that said, we've found Trachtenberg Mathmatics useful. Both my sons reacted very negatively to memorizing the times table (and I did the same, 40 years ago... so I had sympathy). Fortunately, I'd tripped over the work of Trachtenberg in my early 20s, and found it fascinating.

Instead of memorizing a whole pile of multiplication facts (2x2=4, 2x3=6...), you memorize 13 basic rules, and with them, you can multiply any number from 0 to 12 by any number. 7 x 3,269 was on the sheets of math problems my sons were working when they learned to multiply....

There are additional rules, but only a couple, for multiplying multiple digit numbers.

It's fast, once you learn it. It's accurate--more accurate than traditional mutiplications (where the errors get made when you sum up all the bits to get the final answer), in fact.

And most of the rules are very simple. Zero, One, Two, 10, 11, 12, they're really easy rules. The others are more complex, but not that challenging. And the best part -- beyond not having to memorize all those numbers -- is that it gives a kid some rudimentary pre-algebra experience, dealign with the rules, which are really formulas....

Google "Trachtenberg Mathematics" and you'll find hits.

And yes, the system includes ways to divide, take square roots, etc.

I also really recommend the Math Blaster series of computer games; my sons have enjoyed them and gotten a lot out of them.

For some higher mathematics; logic and set theory and the like, I've been very impressed with "The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis". And for the kids, it's all just a game, not the dreaded drudgery of <groan> Math.
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
First: WELCOME to the forum!

Thanks for your insight on Math. I'll have to get the book on Trachtenberg Mathematics. My oldest son has a hard time with it. I've already looked it up on Amazon. Here's the link for anyone else interested in it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?tag=automotivecyberf&path=ASIN/0285629166/qid%3D1113834802/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1

Mark
bartii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like using Horizons Math. It is published by Alpha and Omega. I don't like A & O at all but I like Horizons. A & O actually bought out Horizons.

The excellent aspect of Horizons is that after every new lesson that is taught they go over the previous lesson as well. So, the previous lesson is re-enforced. The main problem with Horizons is that it ends at 6th grade. When I am done with Horizons I will probably use Saxons. However, I did hear about some kind of change that they made, so I need to look into that. I heard it is a disappointing change.
Rich

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Math website Reply with quote

Hi folks,

A good friend who is a semiretired teacher and loved teaching math developed this website. Everything you can imagine from puzzles to net based projects is available. My kids really enjoy the things he linked. There is so much listed that it will take you awhile to view it all. Any age group can find something to do. This isn't lesson plans although many great unit studies can be found, but rather diversional or adjunctive activities. Check it out here:

http://home.maine.rr.com/psblanchard/petesprogram.html
MetroIceberg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are just starting out in homeschooling. However, we really have decided to use the Miquon Math curriculum, due to its idea of the "discovery" of math, rather than the rote memorization of figures. We want to encourage our kids to "think outside of the box" and learn how to solve the problems, not just one way. Of course, this is for smaller children, my daughter is 5, my son only 2.

Once again the Spirit is moving out over the waters,
I raise my hands to the sky and fall, You will catch me!
bartii

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this more of a critical thinking concept?
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here use Ray's Arithmetic, I know its ancient but the way it teaches math is such a self sufficient and real easy way for kids to learn it, if they can get past the 150 year language difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: