Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job opportunity with HSLDA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Working From Home
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bartii

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Job opportunity with HSLDA Reply with quote

http://www.hslda.org/about/jobs/default.asp
candiamae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! It is a big help to all!
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candiamae wrote:

Just for the sake of participating here, let me voice the opinion that I disagree completely.

The HSLDA is NOT a big help to all. It is NOT a big help to homeschooling in general. It is a political organization with a very specific political agenda and homeschooling is secondary to that underlying agenda. And ONLY homeschooling philosophies which they approve of.

The HSLDA does not represent me.

YMMV,

Frank
bartii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to homeschool dads. Thank you for your opinion. I would have to disagree with you. This is what is great about being created as individuals. We are not all alike.
RB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
candiamae wrote:

Just for the sake of participating here, let me voice the opinion that I disagree completely.

The HSLDA is NOT a big help to all. It is NOT a big help to homeschooling in general. It is a political organization with a very specific political agenda and homeschooling is secondary to that underlying agenda. And ONLY homeschooling philosophies which they approve of.

YMMV,

Frank

I read the weekly updates and see what the HSLDA has done for many families in this country. Care to share some examples of how and why the HSLDA is not a good organization?
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB wrote:
Frank wrote:
candiamae wrote:

YMMV,

Frank

I read the weekly updates and see what the HSLDA has done for many families in this country. Care to share some examples of how and why the HSLDA is not a good organization?

Try these for starters:

http://hsislegal.com/
http://www.homeedmag.com/HEM/185/sotch.html
http://www.uuhomeschool.org/pub-040217-01.php3

If you want more, well, as the comedian once said, I've got a million of 'em.

This is a great organization if you're a radical right-wing fundamentalist Christian who feels that this country should be a theocracy. Otherwise... NOT such a great organization.

Frank
RB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
This is a great organization if you're a radical right-wing fundamentalist Christian who feels that this country should be a theocracy. Otherwise... NOT such a great organization.

Frank[/quote]

I checked-out your sources. Thank you for sharing them. I won’t need to view the other million.

I suspect that your complaint with the organization is based upon their being openly and unapologetically Christian. As a home schooler, you do not wish to be caught under the umbrella of Christianity through association with the group. So be it. That’s your choice.

It may be open to debate whether or not the HSLDA has been as effective as they claim to be in establishing home schoolers’ rights. I read nothing in these sources about what kinds of cases the HSLDA will and will not take on (such as domestic cases) that I have not read from the HSLDA itself. They are very open in this area.

I kept reading, looking for the smoking gun of nefarious wrong-doing on the part of the HSLDA, and really saw nothing other than sour grapes.

So...don't join. That's cool.
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB wrote:

Frank[/quote]

I checked-out your sources. Thank you for sharing them. I won’t need to view the other million.

I suspect that your complaint with the organization is based upon their being openly and unapologetically Christian. As a home schooler, you do not wish to be caught under the umbrella of Christianity through association with the group. So be it. That’s your choice.

It may be open to debate whether or not the HSLDA has been as effective as they claim to be in establishing home schoolers’ rights. I read nothing in these sources about what kinds of cases the HSLDA will and will not take on (such as domestic cases) that I have not read from the HSLDA itself. They are very open in this area.

I kept reading, looking for the smoking gun of nefarious wrong-doing on the part of the HSLDA, and really saw nothing other than sour grapes.

So...don't join. That's cool.[/quote]

Don’t try to turn this into a simplistic oh-you’re-just-anti-Christian strawman. There are a LOT of Christian homeschooling organizations out there, as well as Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, etc. I have absolutely no gripe with any of them and they have no interest in controlling me. America is a big place and there’s room for everybody. But not if the HSLDA has its way.

Most of the people in the US are Christian and most homeschoolers are Christian. The problems with HSLDA go far beyond the fact that they are an “open and unapologetic” Christian group. Farris and the HSLDA are the Taliban of American Christianity. They’re as Christian as Al Qaeda are Muslim, which is to say, they are but they’re FAR outside the mainstream. Most Christians do NOT want to turn this country into a Taliban-style theocracy. Farris does.

So, am I opposed to them because they’re Christian or because they’re trying to overthrow my government and restrict my Constitutional freedoms in their own peculiar “Christian” way?

Not only is the HSLDA ineffective in working for homeschooling rights, they are actively opposed to homeschooling freedom. Example: They have lobbied and given legal support to the premise that the state has a compelling interest in the education of its citizenry. N.B. that this is exactly the same position that the German government takes about homeschooling. You know, the same Germany where homeschooling is illegal? This position is inconsistent with general homeschooling freedom, although it fits with the HSLDA agenda.

I’d be happy to simply go my way while they go theirs. However, my way does not include quashing theirs and forcing them to live according to my standards. Their way seeks to actively quash mine and others’. They are the enemy of homeschooling freedom. They are the enemy of American as it exists.

If it’s sour grapes to oppose the curtailment or elimination of my freedom, either as a homeschooler or as a citizen of a free country, then that phrase means something different to you than it does to me. If you read even a smattering of the sites I linked and didn’t see a smoking gun, then I guess you’re the HSLDA’s demographic and, by definition, an enemy of this country. “Nefarious” doesn’t even begin to cover the depth of evil represented by Farris and the HSLDA. This country will not be turned into a neo-Puritan theocracy as long as I’m still breathing and I’ll bet most Christians feel the same. Given that many of the gripes about the HSLDA come from other Christians, I’ m actually pretty certain that most Christians agree with me.

Resisting the HSLDA is not about opposing Christianity; it’s about opposing totalitarianism. Big difference.

Frank
RB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have hard evidence that Farris wants to, or is trying to, establish a "Taliban-style theocracy" in this country, spell it out in black-and-white. Your websites didn't. Maybe the other million will.

It's amazing that people use comparisons to groups with a documented history of ruthless killing when speaking of, or writing about, groups that they oppose. "Taliban" and "Nazi" are thrown about casually. It is blatantly disrespectful to the people who lost their lives to the barbarism of the Taliban and
the Nazi party of Hitler's Germany. Neither the feminists in this country (Rush Limbaugh calls them "Feminazis") or the HSLDA have ruthlessly murdered people in the name of their cause. They don't blow up innocent people with car bombs. They don't imprison, torture, and kill people based on their faith. When I read such hyperbole I tend to write-off the speaker's argument as trash. It's so over-the-top it's unbelievable.

I've listened to this theocracy BS for years and quite frankly, I haven't seen a single legislative effort to turn this country into a theocracy. That's crap. The only way a theocracy will be established in this country is if Islam takes control.
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is important to note that HSLDA, whom I support, does have a requirements that must be met. They are there for the homeschooler who use more of a traditional or Classical form of homeschooling. These are homeschoolers that do not use IDEA or K12 or other government funded programs. In fact, they don't even work with unschoolers.

The traditional or Classical homeschoolers are the the ones whose choices are in jeopardy when and if the government places rules and regulations on them. They are the ones who could lose out on their choice of educating their children.

HSLDA is not there for personal lawsuits. They have stated that. They are there for the homeschoolers and all that pertains to homeschooling. If one decides to use them for their servies then they must be a member, in most cases. There have been some cases where the family wasn't a member and received their help. However, they became a member shortly there after. Also, you don't have to be a Christian to receive their services.

Here is an example where HSLDA helped a family who was fighting against the health insurance:

Missouri

July 18, 2007
Company Refuses to Pay Doctor’s Bill for Homeschooler

After taking their 19-year-old daughter to the doctor, the Rollers’ insurance company refused to pay the bill. They claimed she was no longer a dependent, even though she was being homeschooled and had not finished her high school program.

The Rollers called Home School Legal Defense Association for help. HSLDA attorney Scott A. Woodruff wrote a letter to United Health Care explaining that the daughter was enrolled full time in a lawful homeschool program. In most cases, a simple letter like this is enough to persuade private companies or government agencies that benefits should not be denied just because a student is being homeschooled.

United Health Care, however, responded by reasserting its denial of payment, claiming the daughter was not “registered” as a student. Responding to this challenge, attorney Woodruff advised the Rollers to file a “declaration of enrollment” with the Cass County Recorder of Deeds.

After filing the declaration, the Rollers sent it to United Health Care and asked them to pay the doctor’s bill. United Health Care stubbornly refused once again. It appeared that litigation might be necessary to compel them to fulfill their contractual obligations.

Woodruff prepared a warning letter to the company. Woodruff’s assistant, Peter LaRock, made numerous phone calls to company personnel to ascertain who the proper person would be to receive such a warning.

LaRock’s phone calls got someone’s attention. Before Woodruff’s warning letter could be mailed, United Health Care announced it would pay the doctor’s bill. The Rollers have had no further problems with the company since then.
RB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came here to post this very same story and discovered that you beat me to it.

Horrible, horrible HSLDA. How could they help this family? Why, it's just one more step on the slippery slope towards theocracy!
yourstudentnews

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: HSLDA Responsiveness? Reply with quote

First, we are HSLDA members and believe in what they are doing. That said: I contacted them by email several weeks ago (not about a legal issue) and my email went into a black hole. I will follow up but if they are unresponsive to their members I will be very disappointed and will be worried about their responsiveness to a true cry for help.

Plus, their website is becoming a big commercial mess and is getting covered up in affiliate advertising / marketing schemes - which I find rather offensive. Maybe most people don't understand how this stuff works but their web site has become a great big ad machine rather than focused on helping and supporting hs families.

www.yourStudentNews.com
www.learningSquared.com
lordkevin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice post...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Working From Home All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: