Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Frank, This One's For You

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Other Teaching Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Hey Frank, This One's For You Reply with quote

One of our favorite HomeSchoolDads is Frank who is the official Unschooler on the forums.

http://www.homeschooldads.com/news/2010-07-27.html
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I did see that link on the Home Page. It's kinda interesting that unschooling has been in the public eye lately. It's a very poorly understood subset of homeschooling. Many people view it as unparenting and that's sad because that's almost exactly wrong. Unschooling takes concentrated parental involvement but the focus on following the kids' passions seems like giving up control.

And it is. Control is not part of my vocabulary. And we go beyond (John Holt style) unschooling as an educational philosophy, we embrace it as a life philosophy. So that puts me on the radical end of a radical weltanschauung.

Story of my life!

For anybody who's interested, there's an impromptu blog carnival on the subject of unschoolers saying "I'm that mom/dad" which is a nice insight into the life and thoughts of various unschoolers. Starting point is here with links to many posts: http://zombieprincess.blogspot.com/2010/07/im-that-mom.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Other Teaching Ideas All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: