Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great idea!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> The Co-Ed Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Great idea! Reply with quote

Hi,
Just wanted to say it's about time someone got a site together for home school dads.
Although I do the majority of the teaching, my dh helps quite a bit. There are a few subjects he teaches almost exclusively. He even takes vacation time to be at home school events.
But, there is no 'dad's support group' in our local home school group. Most dad's here don't seem to play a very active role in the home education.
I'll be sending my dh the link for this site.
Nightbird
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Great idea! Reply with quote

Nightbird,
Welcome to the site. This website is open to full-timers and part-time homeschooling dads. And also Moms here in the Co-Ed room. Smile

Mark
Erin Brown Conroy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Bravo! to all you Dads -- Moms, let's encourage... Reply with quote

Bravo to all you Homeschool Dads for the incredibly valuable investment you're making in your sons' and daughters' lives -- I believe I speak for all Moms out there who appreciate your commitment!

And thanks to Mark for this site. What a timely resource.

SOOOOO -- Moms.....What can we do to support our Homeschooling Dads? I think it would be great to start a list here...The "Let's Support and Encourage Our Husbands in This Way" List. Practical things we can say and do. What do you think?

If you want to visit me, feel free to stop in www.YourHomeschoolingAnswers -- I'm a Mom of 13 who has been homeschooling for 20 years (and a parenting author/speaker). Looking forward to hearing from you all,

Erin
chan58

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bravo! to all you Dads -- Moms, let's encourage... Reply with quote

Erin Brown Conroy wrote:
I'm a Mom of 13 who has been homeschooling for 20 years...
Erin

OMG! (bows in reverence)
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen!

I have enough trouble managing a circus of three!

Paul
Cathy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: hope your site flies... Reply with quote

I think the idea is a great one and I sent a link to my dh. I do most of the teaching with good support from dh. As our sones have gotten older, dh has started to boht plan and execute actual teaching. It has worked well for us.

I hope this site can help other dads feel empoewered and encouraged to take that teaching plunge, knowing that time plays a big role in what they can do as well.

Cathy
brandywine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: homeschooling husband Reply with quote

I am a full-time teacher (though currently finishing up my masters; I will be returning to teaching next year.)

My husband is a homeschooling father (and restaurant manager when I'm not teaching, like right now).

Our children are currently only 1 and 3, but he is developing curriculum for when they get older. He also collects pictures on the computer, and my three-year-old daughter gets to sit on his lap and identify pictures with him before he goes to work. She loves to have Daddy's undivided attention for a few minutes, and she can already name the Leaning Tower of Pisa and a tornado! Certainly more than I knew when I was three!

Anyway, we're not sure if we will send our children to school and keep enriching their education at home or simply homeschool. We want our children to learn to love learning for its own sake, rather than to earn a sticker from the teacher or to get the best grade in the class. Though I love teaching, I really do have philosophical problems with the focus on grades and testing in our schools.

Anyway, bravo to you Mark for setting up this site and for all fathers out there participating in their children's education. I can't think of a more valuable way to spend your time!

I will pass this link on to my husband!

BW
bartii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BW,

The great aspect of homeschooling, depending on the rules of each individual state, you can choose to use grades or not. You also have the choice, which I believe most states don't require, in testing your kids.

Idaho is one of the most friendliest states to home school in. There are many choices of home schooling. Not everyone agrees on a particular method but it is the choice they have made. We do not have to have our curriculm approved by the district school superintendent. We don't have to turn homework assignments into the school districts or the public school they would have attended. The way a parent schools their children is up to the parent not the government.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further extending your point, It's been my contention for the last few years that the greatest advantage of homeschooling is it's flexibility. If one technique doesn't work, try another. If something is close, but not quite right, tweak it. Locally, few of the plans parents make seem to survive the first two years of homeschoolong ... and that includes my own.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> The Co-Ed Room All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: