Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History On The Road And Up Close

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: History On The Road And Up Close Reply with quote

Our family is planning on taking an extended RV trip across the Unites States. Hopefully starting out by this summer, we plan to sell the house and buy an RV. This adventure will should take us to all 49 states (can't drive to Hawaii) over the next two years. With the kids still in the elementary years, we think it will be a good idea. Once they hit the teen years, they'll probably want to settle in one place and make some friends.

During this time, they should learn a great deal about history and geography. Has anybody else tried anything like this or shorter?
bartii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it could be a lot of fun. It should be quite educational for you kids and yourselves. Are you going to work during that time or do you have the money already set aside for this?
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartii wrote:
That sounds like it could be a lot of fun. It should be quite educational for you kids and yourselves. Are you going to work during that time or do you have the money already set aside for this?

Yes, I will be working during this time. That's the wonderful thing of the internet, you don't need an office. Plus we have some other things in the works to help pay for all the expenses. More of that info will be posted up at www.awaywego.us in the next few days or so.

We are all looking forward to it, my wife especially! She's been wanting to leave the working life for a long time.

By the way, did you get my PM?
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally travel long distances for consulting work, and often one or more of my children come with me. [ In fact, I explicitly take my teenaged daughter along as an assistant when hardware work is anticipated, as she's getting better at it than I am. ] We allow extra time to stop and investigate "discoveries" along the way ... a railroad and doll museum in Hays, Kansas .... the National Road Museum near Zanesville, OH ... a road cut museum/rest area in Maryland ... a lake off of US-50 in West Virginia. A _lot_ of unanticipated learning has occurred in these diversions, and on some trips, they've provided _better_ learning and amusement than planned stops at the end points of our journies.

Here's to great experiances for you and yours on you journey!

Paul
Pat McLaughlin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: History On The Road And Up Close Reply with quote

BigDaddy wrote:
Once they hit the teen years, they'll probably want to settle in one place and make some friends.

During this time, they should learn a great deal about history and geography. Has anybody else tried anything like this or shorter?

It's amazing what kids can find and enjoy as normal. I moved frequently as a kid, and didn't suffer (much) for it. The benefits were immense, in my view. And with the internet providing an easy way to stay in touch with people, it's got to be even better and easier today.

The RV trip sounds great. After my mother died, nearly 5 years ago now... my father and I took my sons on a 2+ month road trip from So. Cal. to Alaska and back, in my brother's RV. Over 10,000 miles. We had a grand time, and saw a lot. The boys learned a fair bit--though they were younger... the older one turned 8 during the trip... they still remember a lot of it.

I know people who just sold their home and are taking their sons--younger than yours--and are going to go and start sailing around the world for... the next several years.

One thing I'd definitely take along as a resource though, is "Lies My Teacher Told Me." It, and a companion volume (More Lies...) looks at many of the historical sites, markers and such and provides the rest of the story, the other side, or the missing facts. So many of them have been bowdlerized to not embarrass or offend some local family, or some group. There is, however, an amazing range of things to see and do and learn; roadside attractions, a zillion small museums and local historic sites... and then you'd get a shot at the really top flight museums that are all over, in various large cities.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> History All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: