Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curriculum choice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Curriculum choice Reply with quote

We have primarily used ABeka for all subjects with few modifications, and have really been happy however, we have found that the science core gets weak around middle school and definitely is inadequate by highschool. Our kids are college bound, so it became necessary to find something more comprehensive. We heard the author of Apologia Science, Dr. Jay Wile, speak at a convention two years ago and were impressed enough to purchase the Physical Science program. This class satisfies a full highschool science credit year is much more in depth and like all of the rest, includes a lab. All lab materials are part of the curriculum and can safely be used at home. No special chemicals are needed. My oldest has done two of programs, physical science, and biology, and has really enjoyed them. She will be doing chemistry next year and the middle child will begin physical science. He has dyslexia and would have a little trouble with the volume of reading required so with a doctor's note, he was provided the entire textbook recorded on CD for no extra charge. How's that for service?
bartii

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using The US Borne Science Encyclopedia curriculum. The book is around 35 dollars. After you read two pages it sends you to their web page where you can read more on the subject at different links they provide. Supposedly you could use it for four years. I teach both my 9 yr. old and 11 yr. old the same for science so this makes it a little easier. But, I think in a couple of years I may have to go more in depth with my oldest.

I like using this curriculum because on the web, where they send you, a lot of times they have some reading, fun tests to take, fun games to play that deal witht he subject, and a few other things. My boys have fun studying science this way. However, the experiments are still the best.
Rich

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartii wrote:
I have been using The US Borne Science Encyclopedia curriculum. The book is around 35 dollars. After you read two pages it sends you to their web page where you can read more on the subject at different links they provide. Supposedly you could use it for four years. I teach both my 9 yr. old and 11 yr. old the same for science so this makes it a little easier. But, I think in a couple of years I may have to go more in depth with my oldest.

I like using this curriculum because on the web, where they send you, a lot of times they have some reading, fun tests to take, fun games to play that deal witht he subject, and a few other things. My boys have fun studying science this way. However, the experiments are still the best.

We like the Usborne encyclopedias as well and have all three. The kids will use them independently, which I like.
bartii

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use both science books? Do you have one that you use predominately? If you use one more then the other why is that?
Rich

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bartii wrote:
Do you use both science books? Do you have one that you use predominately? If you use one more then the other why is that?

The three Usborne web-linked encyclopedias that I was referring to are; science, history and geography. Our kids frequently pull these sources from the shelf to research subjects being taught in other ways. We don't use the Usborne encyclopedias as curriculum by themselves but having used them, I can see how they could be used as curriculum. Other science curricula that we currently use are from ABeka, Apologia and a variety provided by a nature-based program that my son has been attending these past two years. We have a garden variety of science work here at our homeschool.
basilosaurus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abeka is hardly suited as science for kids. It is science and religion mixed together. It is a disservice to any young science students. Free thought and inquiry can never prevail in swuch an environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: