Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New member - some questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yourstudentnews

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: New member - some questions Reply with quote

Hello fellow homeschooling dads...

First, I think this site is a great idea and serves a very under-recognized group of good people - us homeschooling dads.

Second, is there a set of posting rules? I've looked and I've not found anything. I'd like to do some business networking with other dads that run homeschool family owned businesses... but I don't want to be a spammer (I usually use good judgment anyway but want to be sure of the rules).

Third, I've come across a few posts (only been here a few minutes) that are not from homeschooling dads... Perhaps I misunderstood the definition... I took it to mean dads that are the primary teacher.

Anyway, if someone could let me know about posting rules, I'd appreciate it.

www.yourStudentNews.com
www.learningSquared.com
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Scott,
Welcome to the Homeschooling Dads website. I started this website several years ago while I was a homeschool dad. Now however the kids are back in a private Christian school and I'm an over-the-road truck driver. I visit here on occasion to make sure there aren't any junk posts. There is also a moderating homeschool dad here who has the ability to delete posts.

As for rules, I'm pretty relaxed about them. As long as the posts are clean, they're OK. If you're an active member joining in with conversation, I don't mind your networking. If you were to just come in here and post your home business info and never post again, I would probably delete it.

Yes the website was primarily intended for the dads who are the primary teacher, but I think even if those who only help out want to gather information or ask questions, why not. Again, we no longer homeschool our sons but instead of taking down the website, I thought I'd leave it here for others. As long as it continues to help those looking for answers and a community of fellow dads.

Mark
yourstudentnews

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mark.

I've got to say that I am disappointed that this is no longer an actively done site.

It is such a great concept and a well done site! And, I think really needed.

But, I understand where you are coming from with the site and your own priorities.

In my posts, I'll try to behave myself Very Happy and contribute as I can.

Do you mind sharing why you decided to switch to private Christian school from homeschool? Actually, if that were an option in our area, we'd probably do the same...

www.yourStudentNews.com
www.learningSquared.com
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,
I had hoped to find an active member who was willing to continue building upon what I've already started with this website. But so far it hasn't panned out that way.

As for my situation, it basically came down to getting a divorce and no longer being able to stay at home with the kids. Hence the truck driving job now. If I had my choice, I'd have them with me on the road but right now they need stability and friends from school.

We had them on the road traveling for 11 months as we toured the country in our motorhome. It was a great experience and they got to see and learn much. But they missed having friends consistently. (see www.awaywego.us, our travel blog)

Anyway, enjoy your visits here at homeschooldads.

Mark
RB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to find an actively used website for home schooling fathers. More often than not, if you log on to a website for dads you are greeted to the sound of crickets chirping. Participation is quite limited. Posts are few and far between. Home school websites that are inhabited mainly by women tend to be far more active. There has to be something different in the needs of home schooling dads versus home schooling moms that accounts for this difference. I haven't figured it out yet. If anyone can explain it to me, I'm all ears. BigDaddy and I briefly wrote about my becoming an active administrator to this site, but I honestly do not know what I could offer to make this website an attractive on-line destination for Home Schooling Dads. It seems like a lot of work with very little return. Any suggestions?
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference in activity and participation is that men only need to say about a 1000 words a day to be content and women need to say 10000+ words a day before they are content. Laughing

I don't know if that is true, but I just had to through that in there.

RB, yes the returns are little so it would just have to be something a dad would have the time for (but if we had the time then there may be more activity on the forums right?), and a dad would just have to enjoy the hard work in keeping the site fresh and updated. Searching out and finding the articles of interest to post here, etc.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: