Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NASA/aerospace opportunity FYI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: NASA/aerospace opportunity FYI Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is interested in this:

The Washington Aerospace Scholars program at the Museum of Flight has recently completed its inaugural year, and we are now seeking student applicants for our second year. A number of homeschoolers participated in our first year, and found it an engaging and effective way to study these subjects. I am hopeful that you can assist me in bringing this opportunity to more homeschooled teens. Washington Aerospace Scholars (WAS) starts with a NASA-designed distance learning curriculum. Our aim is to reach students across Washington and inspire them to consider degrees and careers in science, technology, engineering and math.

The online curriculum experience begins in January and covers the history of space exploration, our current efforts, and pushes students to consider the future of space exploration. Students submit a “mission” consisting of a reading quiz, math solution and essay every other week. The average participant needs 2-3 hours to complete each mission. In May, the top-performing students will be invited to attend one of four week-long summer residency experiences at the Museum of Flight. During this experience, the students will work with professional engineers and scientists to design a human mission to Mars. They will also attend tours of engineering facilities (last summer we went to labs at the UW College of Engineering, and to the Boeing Factory in Everett), receive briefings from astronauts and other experts, as well as compete in hands-on engineering challenges. Thanks to the Washington Aerospace Scholars Foundation, the entire program is provided to participants at no charge (this includes the educational experience, travel, lodging and meals).

We are now accepting applications from students who are at least 16 years of age. Applications are due by November 9, 2007, and are available on our website: www.museumofflight.org/washingtonaerospacescholars For your convenience, I have included the text of a press release below my signature. Please don’t hesitate to contact me for more information. Do you think you could assist me in sharing this opportunity with teens in your network?

Many thanks,

Rosie Bailer

Coordinator, Washington Aerospace Scholars Program

(206)764-5866

The Museum of Flight

9404 East Marginal Way South

Seattle, WA 98108-4097

"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- William Butler Yeats
bartii

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent an e-mail to Rosie concerning this program, as my son would have been interested in it. This program, as stated on their website is only for those who live in the state of Washington. The teachers and couselors are from Washington thus it would make it quite hard for them to help those outside of the state.

Since seems to be a very exciting curriculum I hope someday they may be able to open up there on-line curriculum to the rest of the country. At this time it does seem that it would be too hard to coordinate and they probably don't have the staff or finances to go country wide. Those in Washington I would encourage you to get your hs(16 on up) to participate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: