Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Homeschooling -- Can't find the "groove"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icarus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: New Homeschooling -- Can't find the "groove" Reply with quote

I am writing because my wife and I are having a hard time "finding the schooling groove". We've gone through the up's and down's over the past few weeks. After yesterday's home school swim and gym at the Y, my wife really got discouraged due to the fact that everyone else talks about how they have it together and are really moving forward. Frankly, we are still trying to find our stride. My wife handles the majority of the schooling and I'm feeling helpless because I don't have the words to help. Suggestions, PLEASE!

Thanks.

Steve
RB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: How Long Have You Been Schooling? Reply with quote

My big question for you is, "How long have you been home schooling?"

I was shocked to find that it took from August until January during the first year of home schooling for us to find our groove. During the second year, it took from August until December. The third year was two parts success, one part disaster, and one part frustration. Our fourth year is much smoother.

It takes time.

Your child is getting used to home schooling. Your wife is getting used to home schooling. Your entire family is in an adjustment period. You're all trying to find your individual "groove."

Look at what is working and see how you can build on that. Look at what is not working and see how you can change it. Take it a subject at a time. Make the changes that you need, and after a few weeks re-evaluate your home schooling.

Send your wife to www.thehomeschoollibrary.com

Have her sign-up, sign-in, and ask the women there for some help. They are a wonderful resource. When they ask her for her referral source, have her tell them "Arby."

May I also suggest that you look at subjects that you can teach to give your wife a break? Try planning a lesson or a unit, or teaching a day's worth of lessons on Saturday, and give your wife a day off during the week?

Keep checking back. The other dads will have suggestions.

Good luck!
mcnattyp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Homeschooling -- Can't find the "groove" Reply with quote

icarus wrote:
...After yesterday's home school swim and gym at the Y, my wife really got discouraged due to the fact that everyone else talks about how they have it together and are really moving forward. Frankly, we are still trying to find our stride...

There is a broad range of home schooling. You don't have to be strongly curriculum-based to give your child a good education. Check out unschooling for some ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: