Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home-Dad Blah's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natureboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Home-Dad Blah's Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with anyone on the forum yet, so I'm hoping to find some grace instead of .... well, whatever else there is.

I've got a 7 year old d, a 4 year old s, and a 2 year old s. Generally speaking, my kids are pretty good. Typical kid stuff. However, my 4 yo is a major Drama Queen. Cries hysterically when he scrapes his knee or bumps his head. My 2 year old, under the same situation, would simply rub his head, fuss a little, and keep going. My 4 year old can't keep his hands to himself. If he's not hitting, he's patting his brother's face or holding his arm, basically driving him crazy. Further, he hasn't developed much of an ability to moderate his emotions. It's all or nothing, great or horrible, extatic or furious, cooperative or obstinate. Frankly, I'm burning out on him.

This also effects my attitude toward the other two and I find I just don't have much compassion for any of them. I'm easily frustrated and I'm not enjoying being with them a whole lot.

I simply don't know what to do.

Getting away isn't much of an option right now.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Natureboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, several reads to my message, but no posts.
bartii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Natureboy. I usually reply to posts as soon as I can. I have had some physical problems and ended up in the hospital and having tests ran. They still can't find out what happened and what is wrong. I probably will have more tests done later.

I have two boys. My oldest is 13 and my youngest is 11. They are very competitive with each other. They love each other one moment and the next it is a fight. My oldest is an analytical, the other is more amiable but very caring.

My youngest is very dramatical like your 4 yr. old. He always has been. However, when he was younger he would silently antagonize his brother and his brother would fight back and get into trouble.

They are both terrible workers at their chores. They don't fully complete them thus it takes them forever to get it done. Or, they are so busy doing other things, which includes argueing with each other or messing around that a forty-five minute job turns into two hours.

Like you I get tired, frustrated, and burned out. I have been a stay at home dad for 11 years and homeschooling for almost eight of those years.

I know have started to punish my boys with hard chores. For an example. I was so frustrated with them on how they acted with each other that they now have to dig all the weeds out of our back yard. This should, theoritically take them the rest of the summer.

There are times that I have to separate them and put them in their own rooms. They have to usually read, but sometimes they just have to be separated. There are times when I take the tv, gamecube, and computer away for a week at a time. My ys is a very picky eater, well my family is, which is very frustrating to the cook, me, that he will have to go to bed without eating anything.

Stay strong. It isn't easy. But, hopefully a couple of my suggestions will help.
ez1119sm@knolgoy.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: break Reply with quote

Ah, yes the emotional loud one. A boy indeed but a challenging one at that. I have one.

God has made your son this way for a reason and placed him in your care. He has created you to speak life into your son's life before he goes out into the world and people degrade him for being sensitive.

The challenge is how to affirm him and at the same time not coddle, which the other siblings watch and learn or even manipulate for their benefit, except for yours.

I know those moment when you look at him and think not again just stop! I also know those moments when he captures you with something intrinsic that only he could comprehend and you say to yourself " what did you just say".

There is no easy answer. I believe if we live day by day we learn to find a balance with children like ours.

Your a brave man. Don't give up. You children love you and trust you. Love that child and hold him tight. Look into his eyes and tell him he is going to great.

I hope you will be able to get some rest. A few hours of down time. Until then, know that someone is praying for you and your family.

Sean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> I Need A Break!! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: