Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPORTS!!!!??????????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Sports and Athletics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Natureboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: SPORTS!!!!?????????? Reply with quote

Ok, here it is. I have three kids... daughter 7, son 4, and son 2.

My 4 year old is big for his age and could pass for 6. He bought a Spiderman football at the store a week or so ago and since then, I've seen him throw the thing several times... he's got a spin!

Most dad's, I'm sure, would be thrilled at the prospect of having a son that seems destined for sports (and maybe he's not). But me? Not so much.

My philosophy is, "Football fields were made for band practice." I know next to zip about football, watching sports on TV is torture, and I only go to a game because I'm with friends and I don't have to actually watch the game.

I know, as a good dad, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and learn about whatever sport he may choose to involve himself in (looks like soccer this fall), but frankly... throwing a ball back and forth in the yard is not my idea of a good time at all. Honestly, I can't throw a football to save my life, and I'll have to buy a baseball glove. I hated it as a kid and I'm not looking forward to it now.

Any thoughts or advice?
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SPORTS!!!!?????????? Reply with quote

Natureboy wrote:
Ok, here it is. I have three kids... daughter 7, son 4, and son 2.

My 4 year old is big for his age and could pass for 6. He bought a Spiderman football at the store a week or so ago and since then, I've seen him throw the thing several times... he's got a spin!

Most dad's, I'm sure, would be thrilled at the prospect of having a son that seems destined for sports (and maybe he's not). But me? Not so much.

My philosophy is, "Football fields were made for band practice." I know next to zip about football, watching sports on TV is torture, and I only go to a game because I'm with friends and I don't have to actually watch the game.

I know, as a good dad, I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and learn about whatever sport he may choose to involve himself in (looks like soccer this fall), but frankly... throwing a ball back and forth in the yard is not my idea of a good time at all. Honestly, I can't throw a football to save my life, and I'll have to buy a baseball glove. I hated it as a kid and I'm not looking forward to it now.

Any thoughts or advice?

Hi,

Well, my response is gonna come from my philosophy, which may differ significantly from yours; but here it is anyway. We *un*school our kids, John Holt style, which means that *they* are in control of what they learn. If one of my daughters wants to learn about Foo, the fact that I know nothing about it, am bad at it, and/or hate it does not excuse me from helping her learn all she wants to learn about Foo.

If I were you, I'd go the the local library and get some books and (hopefully) videos about beginning football... right after I go to the sporting goods store and buy a couple of different types of balls. Simultaneously, look into local football leagues. Get him on a pee-wee team. That absolves you of any personal participation in the sport. All ya gotta do is get him to and from practice and games.

Finally, it's certainly ok to honestly share/admit your own likes and dislikes. Tell him you hate sports but you're willing to practice with him because you love *him*. I *detest* Barbies and told my girls that; but I played my share of Barbie games when the girls were younger because they wanted me to be with them. They usually respected the fact that it was not my favorite activity and didn't press me to do it too often. (phew!)

You might find that playing with your son is not the same as (hopefully BETTER than) being forced to play as a kid yourself. In any event, he'll probably hook up with like-minded kids pretty quickly and then will no longer require your participation.

Good luck,

Frank
RB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its time to learn to throw, dad. Very Happy

Yes, you may have to buy a baseball glove. May I recommend that you go to a thrift store or a second-hand sporting goods store and buy a rag, one of those gloves that is so well broken in that it is floppy? Then find a friend who can teach you the hows and whys of baseball. Or foot ball. You might be surprised at what you learn. Throwing a ball can be more than just tossing it back and forth. How you grip the ball across the seams, how you hold the ball in your hand, and how you move your arm as you throw dictates how the ball behaves as it moves though the air. Ill never be a pitcher, but learning how to throw an effective change-up was fun. Im still trying to learn the curveball. I have a friend who can make a baseball dance as it moves through the air.

I offer these examples to suggest that if you immerse yourself in the mechanics, it might make the sport a little more interesting, if for no other reason than sharing it with your children.

I must heed my own advice. Unfortunately, that means I might have to learn the finer points of hosting a tea party for my daughter. Oh....for a tom boy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Sports and Athletics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: