Home School Dads

Line

Spacespace
Message Boards
Stripes

space
Home School Dads
A Website for Fathers who Home School

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Website Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Any Suggestions Reply with quote

Even though this website is still in its infant stages, I still hope you take the brief few minutes to post a few comments. I want this website to be a place for us Homeschool Dads to share ideas, voice fustrations, or have some fun. So let me know what you think. Thanks, Admin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just wanted to say how great I think it is that you are creating this site. I'm just getting ready to start on this homeschool journey, and I look forward to having this resource.

-Todd
Nance

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: My DH/NHEN Reply with quote

I too think this is a great idea -- the more support for hsing Dads, the better!!!

I have two small website suggestions. One is that you add a search feature to the website -- if there is one I missed it. The other is that you add a link to NHEN's pages for hsing Dads -- http://www.nhen.org/dads/default.asp?id=306 -- it's called For Dads by Dads.

Also, even though my DH is not the full-time hser here, he is self-employed which enables him to join us on outings and just be at home more. This is one of the bonuses of hsing that we had not foreseen and truly treasure. Will this forum and the website be only for Dads who are the full-time hser or is it OK for Dads who are very involved in their kids' hsing to check in here too?

Thanks!

Nance
stpetedad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I saw the notice for this site come through a couple of the homeschooling groups we are on and I signed my husband up (the only time I will post under his name). I think this site is long overdue. Right now, my husband is home with the boys and I am working (just the way things worked out) so he does the bulk of the homeschooling. He is awesome with our sons AND our sons are getting something lots of kids don't get--LOTS of time with their father.

One suggestion is to have a specific section for links with a brief description so folks wouldn't have to dig through the message boards looking for them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job over all! However, I do have a suggestion. You offer message boards for father/daughter and father/son field trips, but that leaves out coed trips. As in many homeschool families,
we go as a family the vast majority of the time, and our favorite field trip sites have managed to delight both my daughter _and_ my sons.

Paul
chan58

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site - looking forward to the exchange of ideas.

One of the things I'm most hoping to get is insight and feedback on schooling techniques and activities. I suggest a forum per subject matter:

- art/music
- math
- science
- reading
- writing
- history
- goegraphy
- etc

Also, it would be very handy to be able to see, at a glance, what age group(s) a user is schooling, without having to go look at their profile and try to find out. Unfortunately, I have no suggestions for how to do this! Maybe append something from the profile when you display the username. For example, my username is Chan58, and it could display as "Chan58 5,5", or "Chan58 (5 5)" to show that I school two 5 year-olds. Such a feature would be beneficial as the user base and their message threads start growing.

On this topic, I think the profile should be beefed up to provide more info on the user - such as age group, curriculum, background, etc. Of course, it would all be optional for those that don't want to provide it.

Finally, it would be great if the username was separate from the online "identity". So while my username is one thing, I might choose to have my online identity be something else.
edtheredhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you how excited I was to see this website. I saw a link to it from the Sonlight webboards & immediately signed up for it.

The only thing I would suggest is when registering, it asked me my time zone by how many hours I was from GMT. I've got no clue. I've seen other webboards do something like GMT+6 (Eastern US).

That would be extremely helpful.

But other than that, I love it!!!!
BigDaddy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,
The time zone thing I didn't figure out until the other day and I'm still not sure if I have it right. I thought the Eastern US was GMT-3. Maybe I have it backwords. We must have missed that day in school. Embarassed

Anybody know the correct answer?

Mark
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDT == UTC - 4

If you're on a Linux box, you can check the current delta by entering:

date ; date -u

Paul - a UNIX guru
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Home School Dads Forum Index -> Website Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: